Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug-In North Central Washington is a 501 (c) 3 registered non-profit organized for the purpose of encouraging EV adoption and tourism in north central Washington. The high amperage L2 (haL2) project is focused on placing Clipper Creek CS-90 (240V 72A) EVSE in our area of operations. We are using the Sun Country Highway model. We raise money to purchase the the CS-90, seek host business/proprietors who operate sites that meet our requirements then execute a 36 month agreement with them to maintain and manage the equipment. Plug-In NCW also promotes the host location by planning EVents and other activities that gain the host site visibility in the community and expose residents to EVs. These are our intended sites:

Buildout.png

We have ordered our first three EVSE units and have host agreements with Campbell's Resort in Chelan and the Pateros Trading Company in Pateros. Both sites have food, lodging, access to retail shops and activities such as walking paths and parks. Chelan is a prized north central Washington tourism destination while Pateros is on Highway 97 which connects Wenatchee with Osoyoos, BC. Our next installation is intended for Omak also on Highway 97. We are working to electrify Highway 20 across the north Cascades as well.

Our next EVent is the commemoration of Highway 2 being electrified last year. Plug-In NCW is organizing an EV road rally using the Wenatchee Ice Age Floods geological sites as a route plus a hosted BBQ at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Wenatchee. This EVent is set for 29 June 2013: Start 1:00 PM BBQ at about 4:30 PM. Springhill Suites is offering discounted rooms for those remaining overnight. They have two low amperage chargers on the property and Wenatchee has several EVSE opportunities including L3. If you are interested in attending PM or e-mail me: [email protected]

Interested in helping? Ideas, recommendations, Tesla HPWCs and money accepted. 100% of donated funds are used to purchase EVSE, signage and monitors used in our installations. Administrative and promotional expenses are not funded by public donations. 501 (c) 3 compliant receipts issued for public donations. Checks can be mailed to: Plug-In NCW, PO Box 1064, Wenatchee, WA 98807-1064 and should be made payable to: Plug-In NCW

Last edited:
You know... projects like this are going to inspire me to visit places that I've never thought about visiting before.

I tried looking up your 501(c) 3 on easymatch.com (Corporate Matching site), but I couldn't find it. All I could find was 'Plug In America'. Is that the same program?

No not the same: Our federal tax ID is 20-4998283. Plug-In NCW LLC is "owned" by the North Central Washington Economic Development District. Our not for profit status is authorized by their board of directors. This action was completed and recorded in their minutes about a week ago. I just visited the "easymatch.com" site it appears to be a private operation for linking donors with organizations. I think a better place to look is the Washington Secretary of State web site for registered not for profit corporations. Page view below.

- - - Updated - - -

deonb: visit north central Washington and you can get access to my HPWC near Orondo... no kidding. In fact why not attend our Ice Age Floods Rally on 29 June?

EDD WA SEC State Certificate.jpeg

Last edited:
No not the same: Our federal tax ID is 20-4998283. Plug-In NCW LLC is "owned" by the North Central Washington Economic Development District. Our not for profit status is authorized by their board of directors. This action was completed and recorded in their minutes about a week ago. I just visited the "easymatch.com" site it appears to be a private operation for linking donors with organizations. I think a better place to look is the Washington Secretary of State web site for registered not for profit corporations. Page view below.

Easymatch.com is what our company use to look up organizations to do matching for (at 100%). Matching + Tax break, means even an HPWC works out to be only around $400 out of pocket :)

Anyway, I found it now with the EIN. It's called 'NCWEDD'.

What should we write as the purpose of the donation so that it gets to the right party? "Plug-In North Central Washington EVSE program?"

Jack, I think this model is a really good one. In my view, the Model S community needs to focus on two areas with respect to charging infrastructure: 1) facilities on popular routes and destinations that are unlikely to be served by superchargers, and 2) facilities at hotels and other overnight accommodations. Your approach seems ideal for the first of these, and the specific hosts that you have found will promote the second as well.

Since you operate under the auspices of the NCW EDD, I suppose there are geographical limits to where you can place hal2 units (i.e., the model won't scale up), but it sure looks like it could be copied elsewhere.

deonb: Checks should be made payable to: Plug-In NCW, we are only authorized one account and it is dedicated to the haL2 Project. However, if a "memo" or purpose is needed please state, high amperage L2 Project or haL2 Project. Both of these will alert the Economic Development District bookkeeper to post in the Plug-In NCW account. We are expecting delivery of our first three CS-90s today! Your contribution will start us on the next three locations. Likely Omak and Winthrop... Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

DouglasR: you are correct about the geographic boundaries. However, north central Washington is a large area including Chelan, Douglas, and Okanogan Counties. The Highway 2 portion of our plan is outside our Area of Operation but is within our Area of Interest. The board has authorized the coordination of placing EVSE along Highway 2 to Spokane as it is a "spur" to EV tourism in central Washington.

JackA, Thanks for the effort first of all. I'm planning a trip to Chelan and having difficulty finding chargers from Auburn to Chelan.
If I find one it's not certain if it's operational or the need of special adapters. Any suggestions?

Tom t: If you follow the I-90 route the total mileage is 185 with few charging opportunities. If however you travel north on Hwy 167 and I405 to Hwy 522 then east on Highway 2 the total mileage will be 188 but there is an abundance of EVSE available plus it is a much more scenic and relaxing route once you get to Monroe anyway. EVSE exist at Monroe Fair Grounds, Sultan, Skykomish, Stevens Pass, Leavenworth and in Chelan you can get a 240V 40A charge at the city RV park. Soon Plug-In NCW will have a 70A charger located at Campbell's Resort in Chelan but it will not be operational until later this summer. Please consider joining us for the Electromotion EV Winery Tour: Electromotion EV Winery Tour - Eventbrite

If you are in Chelan and need access to a Tesla HPWC please call me: 509-784-1747. Jack

- - - Updated - - -

tom t: Sorry I missed your question about reliability and adapters. I am guessing you will be traveling in a Model S so all the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Units) I have described are SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) J-1772 compliant devices. Your Model S uses a non-compliant connector for which Tesla supplied a coupler adapter. To use it simply slip the adapter onto the EVSE J-1772 plug then plug the two units into your car. Everything after that is the same as using your Tesla connector. All of the sites are reliable and if you check Recargo, Plugshare or some other web or phone App sites you can see the latest "check-ins". I visit the Highway 2 sites often and can confirm that they are up and ready for use. Enjoy the road.

Jack, I want to add my thanks to you for the good work you are doing.

I will have my P85 by then (2-ish weeks to go...) and may join the Winery Tour. Plus, my GF loves Chelan so I will have no trouble convincing her. I see the MS as a perfect wine tour vehicle since it has LOTS of room for cases. :) Still have to make it past the range anxiety phase, though.

Phil

PhilBa: Charlene and I have experienced exactly what you are or will. At first we thought we needed to reach our home with "half a tank" but now after 6,400 miles we know that we can arrive home with only 20 - 30 miles Rated Range because we are the "gas station." Also, I tried a little experiment with our ICE. I set the Driver Information Center to show miles remaining. Guess what, as the miles clicked down I started feeling anxious about how quickly it was happening and where the gas station was... We just completed a 1,100 mile trip from central Washington to Banff, AB in Canada. It was exciting to "explore" for EVSE along the route and was exhilarating to drive such a powerful well behaved car through the Rockies. Remember this; there are more electrical outlets in Washington State than gas stations!

1100 miles, sounds like a fun trip. I have sort of a plan to go from Seattle to San Diego. Right now the Portland to SF run looks like the biggest challenge.

Unfortunately, I have a concert on the same day as the wine tour so I'll miss it.

PhilBa: Charlene and I have experienced exactly what you are or will. At first we thought we needed to reach our home with "half a tank" but now after 6,400 miles we know that we can arrive home with only 20 - 30 miles Rated Range because we are the "gas station." Also, I tried a little experiment with our ICE. I set the Driver Information Center to show miles remaining. Guess what, as the miles clicked down I started feeling anxious about how quickly it was happening and where the gas station was... We just completed a 1,100 mile trip from central Washington to Banff, AB in Canada. It was exciting to "explore" for EVSE along the route and was exhilarating to drive such a powerful well behaved car through the Rockies. Remember this; there are more electrical outlets in Washington State than gas stations!
This confirms my theory that Tesla should display the amount of charge left in a different way. I was thinking that most people are just used to looking at the fuel gauge which just shows F - 3/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 - E versus the "miles remaining" that is displayed in the MS.

@wycolo - The green dots are EV charging stations not associated with the North Central Washington haL2 project.

JackA, I took your advice. Went to Chelan on Hwy 2 and found that I didnt even need chargers except at Chelan to get home. Lack of chargers in Chelan was disconcerting but Lakeshore RV was more than helpful. Campbells sounded like they want chargers but hadn't heard of any plans. Maybe just who I talked to. Thank you again!

Glad to hear you made the trip to Chelan. Art Cambell is an owner and General Manager of Cambell's Resort. We are in the final round of negotiating the host agreement which I hope to have finished within the next two weeks. The site and installation plan is complete, we just need to settle some maintenance and liability issues. My guess is that within a month there will be a Plug-In NCW 70A charger there. Just in time for a return trip!

Looking forward to it. My wife does some business trips there and it will be nice to have the car there at my will as Im retired and a kept man now.Keep us informed on the whole Project.We may make another trip in July/August with grandkids so it'll be sweet!