Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Annual Service Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attached is a pdf from Tesla that shows the different services performed annually (years 1-5) under the annual service contract, whether pre-paid or not.

I hope it provides information that helps you decide whether to buy the pre-paid service plan or not.

EDIT: Tesla has asked me to remove this pdf since it is no longer accurate. While I believe this pdf should remain to show what the Annual Checklist was at one time, I have been informed that this list is no longer accurate. To find out what is currently included in your Model S Annual Checklist, please check with your Tesla Service Center.

Attachments

• ModelS_Annual_Service-1.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 6,323
Last edited:
MY heat is sometimes a little funky smelling. I think perhaps that cabin filter should be a year 1 thing as well. For $600, I think most of that should be an every year thing (except stuff like the transmission fluids)

Wow, that is one short list! I'm glad I didn't purchase the agreement. I'll probably bring it in after 4 years primarily to get the cooling system flushed (unless it becomes well documented process that I can handle myself). The other thing that really sticks out is the receiver/drier (evac and recharge AC) every other year. I've never heard of the receiver/drier being replaced in any AC system unless the system is somehow compromised and the internals exposed to the atmosphere. Being a sealed system, you just have to make sure there's enough refrigerant and only replace parts as they fail.

I'm also a big fan of replacing the cabin air filters about every year. Just need to figure out where that sucker is and I'll probably buy a bunch of them to stock up and replace as needed. :)

...that's it?!

I was debating whether to purchase the pre-paid service plan or not. So I called Tesla ownership experience and they emailed me the attached pdf outlining the items covered in the annual checkups each year.

I decided not to purchase the pre-paid service plan because I drive about 6k miles a year and live in San Diego. I think I'll take it in every other year for the $600 annual service.

I'm also a big fan of replacing the cabin air filters about every year. Just need to figure out where that sucker is and I'll probably buy a bunch of them to stock up and replace as needed. :)

Open the frunk and remove the center plastic cover (where the fuses are) and IIRC you'll need to remove the one on the right (passenger) side of the car also. Imagine looking somewhere around what should be just behind/above the glove compartment and you'll see a slot cover about 6-8" long and 2" high (this is all from memory when I saw a smashed up car so forgive me if the measurements are not exact and my car is in for its 12k service right now). Remove that cover (2 screws I think) and the cabin filter just slides out; I recall it being about the size of a large paperback book.

Hopefully you'll be able to find it from that description.

I just went to measure. Takes all of 2 minutes to get at it. Here are the dimensions and markings:

9 5/8" x 6 1/8" x 1 3/16" (24.5 cm x 15.5 cm x 3 cm)

Made in Poland 2217003
1007479-00-A_00

IMG_20130522_232805.jpg

On a whim I did a search on "Mercedes S cabin air filter" and came upon this which looks an awful lot like the Model S filter. I can't find dimensions so I can't say if it's a match.

NPN® W0133-1839854 - Mercedes S Class 2012-2013 Activated Charcoal ACC Cabin Filter

Untitled.png

I was looking for a cabin air filter for my '07 Pontiac Vibe, and ended up with one for an '07 Toyota Matrix. These two cars are twins and came out of the same factory (interestingly, the former NUMMI Plant that is now Tesla's). Guess what...the Toyota and Pontiac filters are NOT the same. I have no idea why this would be the case since my "Pontiac" has Toyota labels all over just about every internal component. It would be interesting if the Tesla and Mercedes filters were the same, but you would really have to get precise measurements to be sure.

Yeah. Have to say I was a little disappointed to see such a short list of items that they check and replace if needed.

I am also one of those who might break 6k this year and was hoping it wouldn't have been such a financial loss for me...

Sent via Tapatalk.

Another way to look at it is that this is a good thing. Not a lot of parts need servicing. Or do you want to go back to the ICE model of thousands of breakable parts and gallons of drip-able fluids. Whether the service is worth the money may be another whole issue. Remember though, you pay for expertise and experience, not necessarily time or effort. Sure it is a short list and mostly visual, but do you know what you are looking for? I don't, and I'm not risking my new 80+grand car to save a couple hundred bucks.

Another way to look at it is that this is a good thing. Not a lot of parts need servicing. Or do you want to go back to the ICE model of thousands of breakable parts and gallons of drip-able fluids. Whether the service is worth the money may be another whole issue. Remember though, you pay for expertise and experience, not necessarily time or effort. Sure it is a short list and mostly visual, but do you know what you are looking for? I don't, and I'm not risking my new 80+grand car to save a couple hundred bucks.

I know my own personal feeling on it is still linked to the fact that, until there was outcry, this was mandatory. As you said, it's far less complicated than an ICE -- yet we were REQUIRED to pay them an amount greater than the yearly maintenance cost of similar ICEs to "look it over" yearly. For the longest time, it wasn't even clear what they were actually doing (see the various vagueries from TM employees), and now that it's finally out, I'm glad they made the decision not to make it mandatory or the backlash may have been greater.

Exactly what do they do on the annual maintenance visits

I'm trying to figure out what they actually do for $600. How long does it take, do they give you a loaner. Exactly what are they doing? Do they rotate tires, change the wiper blades, replace anything? So far it seems like this is a very secret deal. My local service center displays a hourly rate of $125. At $600 for the maintenance charge this looks like a 4-5 hour job. I thought this was a low maintenance vehicle. Brake pads and rotors are going to last a long time and even on a high performance vehicle, not replaced annually. Coolant on a ICE is not an annually replaced item. I don't claim to be an expert on our cars but I doubt the temps on the battery get as high as engine temps, especially in the summer.

I typically do most if not all of the maintenance on our vehicles, especially after the warranty runs out. What will I be able to do? I understand the old days of replacing points and condensers are gone but there must be somethings I can do. Perhaps this is all software updates that take a long time to install and test to make sure everything took. I don't know, I'm stretching to justify buying the extended maintenance plan. It feels like your warranty is out if anyone else touches the car. NOT going to be a good selling feature long term once the masses get the word. NO ONE wants to be tied to the dealer. This will be a big deal on the lower priced car expected in the future. Our experiences will be heavily referenced by both Tesla and their competitors.

I'm not complaining but want to understand what my $ is going for.
P85 Washington

Cal

I bought the package literally hours before Elon said it was no longer compulsory to maintain the warranty. Mine is going in on the 18th for it's first "annual" along with a list of issues that I've been saving up.

Initially they said it was the only way to get "software and hardware updates" done to the car, so what I'd like to know is whether all of the folks who've been posting about repair visits that include a lot of TSB work and other "upgrades" like the front defroster have the maintenance package or not. If not, I'm a little ticked that people are getting for "free" what I pay $600 a pop for. The only real work they do (other than this TSB stuff) is rotating the tires and changing the wiper blades.

I bought the package literally hours before Elon said it was no longer compulsory to maintain the warranty. Mine is going in on the 18th for it's first "annual" along with a list of issues that I've been saving up.

Initially they said it was the only way to get "software and hardware updates" done to the car, so what I'd like to know is whether all of the folks who've been posting about repair visits that include a lot of TSB work and other "upgrades" like the front defroster have the maintenance package or not. If not, I'm a little ticked that people are getting for "free" what I pay $600 a pop for. The only real work they do (other than this TSB stuff) is rotating the tires and changing the wiper blades.

Not sure even about the last bit as I am told by one at my service center that even rotating the tires is out because I plan on buying the Hakka R2s for winter tires. I am trying to get a clarification on this as I have also paid for the package and it states that tire rotation is in the plan and there is nothing in the documentation of the package that states that the tire rotation (implying the winter wheel swap) is exempted because of having non-OEM tires.

I just had my annual inspection done (I pre-paid) at the Burlingame Service Center. They were supposed to have my car for two days and at the time that I dropped off my car which was a Thursday, there was no loaner available and so I had to drive a Chrysler 200. When I went to pick up my car on Friday, they told me that during the inspection, they noticed that my motor had excessive vibration at high speed and recommended that I should have it replaced. Apparently, it was not an urgent issue because I can pick a later date to have it done. So I asked if they have a loaner available and to my surprise, they said yes. The loaner was a blue P85+ with pano roof and child seat (which I don't have on my P85). So I got to experience the P85+ for two days while they replaced my motor. They did not itemize the things they did in the annual inspection but I think it was totally worth it.

Not sure even about the last bit as I am told by one at my service center that even rotating the tires is out because I plan on buying the Hakka R2s for winter tires. I am trying to get a clarification on this as I have also paid for the package and it states that tire rotation is in the plan and there is nothing in the documentation of the package that states that the tire rotation (implying the winter wheel swap) is exempted because of having non-OEM tires.

IMHO they're gonna half to to back down on this. If you've paid $600 per visit for "maintenance" and the only appreciable thing they do in the maintenance plan is rotate tires, then it shouldn't matter who you bought the tires from. Of course, it would be different for someone who doesn't have the maintenance plan. Then I could see them only providing rotations to customers who bought tires from them. This is how most tire dealers operate (i.e. they'll rotate tires you bought from them for free, but not tires you got someplace else).

Excellent info and exactly what we need to know. But I think more will come to light when we have more experiences shared. So what if I don't participate? I thought all of the updates were going to be done through 3G. Obviously hardware stuff can't be done this way. If you don't take the maintenance plan, will Telsa issue a call informing me that there is a hardware update that needs me to bring in my car? Will I get a loaner (like I do at Lexus, BMW) even if I haven't bought the plan?

This company is so new to the automotive world. This is both a blessing and nightmare. There are things they don't understand that is common practice with everyone else. Perhaps that is incorrect, they may be overwhelmed with setting everything up. In any case I do have the patience to work with them and keeping that in mind will make things easier. For instance EVERY other Lexus, Audi service center has a detailed list of required maintenance items and a list of what they do at each service e.g. 10k 20 etc. I see nothing for us.