Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative reputation points need to be eliminated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also agree with Neroden. The main principle of this Forum should be to exchange views among TMC members. We must let people free to say their own opinion without judging. We can give our reasons to people having different views but opinion different from ours should be respected.

There are times that negative reputation is more than deserved - people deliberately trolling, insulting others repeatedly, stuff like that.

I think we should just remove the anonymity of reputation (both positive and negative). If you're going to say something negative, you should be willing for the person to know who gave the negative feedback.

I'll agree with Bonnie

It's too easy for a troll to make a bunch of sock-puppets to establish a "great" reputation. With this forum becoming a bit more visible to the political / stock-market folks, a bit of caution is warranted.

My thoughts:
1. There's no reason to have anonymity when leaving either good/bad feedback.
2. up/down votes should somehow be weighted by the recommenders number of posts, length of membership, individual reputation, something else.
3. Moderators should have override-authority regarding reputation; it's just too easy to game.
//dan.

Bonnie I agree with you that there are times that negative reputation is deserved. But I think that in this case the moderator should intervene. In my opinion this task shouldn't be let to TMC members.
For instance today I have been given a negative reputation for a post that in my opinion was nice. I don't really think that I deserved a negative reputation for that post. It is unpleasant.

Having been a recipient of negative rep, perhaps deserved, perhaps not - depending when you ask me - my only annoyance is the cowardly act of telling me what a horrible person I am and not leaving your own name behind It's a shame for a number of reasons that people can slink off and not be held accountable for their words. Other than that, the rep system is of no consequence to me.

FWIW, when I give people reputation points, positive or negative, I add "Doug_G" at the end. So you know who sent it.

ditto, though I agree with having it either public or positive only. A simple "thanks" or thumbs up button would do the trick -- Positive reinforcement (though I guess if the post being "thanked" is a post putting down another member, that could be just as bad)

I'd definitely support eliminating the anonymity. I like the social aspect of the feedback system and would be sorry to see it to entirely. One approach I've seen on another forum is to get rid of the negative/positive distinction and the "score" element to prevent it from being something people are even tempted to game. I don't know that you'd need to go that far here.

Like others, I include my name when I give reputation points (good and bad). Sure, the system is open to abuse and I've received negative rep that I thought was unfair, but it did make me think about what I had written.....presto, overall I've received a lot more positive rep than negative. The system works if you're willing to absorb the critique and move on.

There are times that negative reputation is more than deserved - people deliberately trolling, insulting others repeatedly, stuff like that.

I think we should just remove the anonymity of reputation (both positive and negative). If you're going to say something negative, you should be willing for the person to know who gave the negative feedback.
There is a downside with non-anonymous feedback: some people are not comfortable with this (for whatever reason) and thus it removes that feature for those users. I'm not one of those users, so it doesn't impact me directly.

My recommendation is...
1. Make the feedback author information readable to admins only.
2. Announce the recommended way to follow-up with admins for feedback you feel was inappropriate.
3. Wait a month or so.
4. Decide among the admins whether to (a) continue the current system or (b) make the feedback author information available to the recipient. If (a), return to step 3.
5. Done.

I believe this approach somewhat mitigates the concern of my first paragraph.

Well I've never had a negative rep given to me ... quick someone give me one! :biggrin:

In all seriousness, removing anonymity opens up an avenue for retaliation IMO.

I honestly find the whole system useless. It literally means nothing to me when I see a 4-bar green rep vs. someone with red rep because it's not reliable information.

Well I've never had a negative rep given to me ... quick someone give me one! :biggrin:

In all seriousness, removing anonymity opens up an avenue for retaliation IMO.

I honestly find the whole system useless. It literally means nothing to me when I see a 4-bar green rep vs. someone with red rep because it's not reliable information.

Yes, when you read the forum a lot you tend to have an personal "rep meter" that means a lot more. :wink: I don't much care one way or another, but I'll just put out that I think when people receive negative rep I think it's often more about how the post is written than the point being made (but hey, I could be wrong).