Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fun with FOB/Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my windows tinted today. While I was waiting I read about the benefits of a wrap. It protects the paint from scratching, dings, etc. Then i thought why can't I use the wrap to protect my FOB? I'm not a big fan of Caselogic USB protector. It's too bulky for my taste.
So I asked my tint guy for a scrap piece of wrap. Originally I wanted to get something to match my car color to make my FOB a mini-me :)
They didn't have my color so they gave me a small left over piece of carbon fiber wrap. Beggars can't be choosers.

Originally I was going to put the wrap on the top where the three buttons are located. After I did than I decided to wrap the rest of it (except where there's a painted logo and "windows"
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG
MAY_6703.JPG
MAY_6690.JPG

I have been thinking of doing this for awhile now and this thread got me motivated to try it. These are my results after the 2nd try at wrapping it, I am still not 100% happy with how the bottom ended up, not as smooth as I would like. Once I get a good wrap that I am happy with I was planning on stenciling the windows and Tesla logo back on.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to pick up a lot of pocket lint now... That or its manufacturing it because it always finds more.

If we ever get to see the sun again here in MN I will try to get a better picture outside ... with a clean car...

wrap1.jpg
wrap2.jpg

Very nice! Did you do the bottom as well? How did you deal with access to the battery compartment?
Boy, I haven't seen garage door like that since...well since i left Minn :)

The bottom is the part that I am not quite happy about. It is hard to keep the vinyl from folding on its self but if I trip it down it becomes very hard to pull to fit around it. I am still trying to figure out a better way to go about it.

I still have a bunch of the wrap so if anyone can think of an idea let me know.

wrap3.jpg

I still have a bunch of the wrap so if anyone can think of an idea let me know.

View attachment 22804

Easy. Vinyl stretches easier than it shrinks.
In this case you would have to have a couple inches if excess vinyl when coming around the lower edge, then starting from the middle of the fobs long-side and stretch it outwards to the low sides by using heat. This way you will be able to remove a small triangular piece about 1/4th from the short side and make a nice even cut-line down the last 1/4th of the side. Also cut down the entire middle section of the underside using a ruler to make the cut. Repeat on the other side, but let the 2 pieces of vinyl overlap eachother before making another cut through both of them. This enables you to lift it carefully back up removing the excess cut vinyl on the underside. When its put down again the 2 sides will slice perfectly.

Ill try to draw a picture of where to put the cuts tomorrow when Im on my Computer.