Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the fastes way to charge the Roadster on the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the fastes way to charge the Roadster on the road?

Alternatives: (Europa)

1. 16 A 230V (13A) with standard chargingcable

2. 32 A 230 V (30A) with additional chargingcable

3. Is it possible to charge on a Mode 3 Type 2 fast-chargingstation 22kw? Any adapter?

4. Is it possible to charge on a Chademo- charger, and what speed? Any adapter?

The fastest way is with a Roadster HPC or A 240V 70A J1772 (VIA adapter cable). I don't know if you will find any in Norway.

30A is much faster than 13A.

Roadster is not compatible with any Level III charge station, including Chademo.

Towed behind a truck using regen.

There are thermal limits associated with regen and these usually kick in at around 5 minutes.

A 1.5 is only capable of max regen of 70A the 2.X are capable of 90A.

Basically a High Power Wall connector properly set up gives you the same charging speed
over a sustained period of time.

I have tow charged at full regen for about 25 min in 80 deg f weather with no evidence of thermal limiting. On level ground at 60 mph. I also drop about 4000ft whenever I leave Lake arrowhead using quite a bit of regen and have seen no limit kicking in. Temps have been over 100f at the top and 115f at the bottom.

I have tow charged at full regen for about 25 min in 80 deg f weather with no evidence of thermal limiting. On level ground at 60 mph. I also drop about 4000ft whenever I leave Lake arrowhead using quite a bit of regen and have seen no limit kicking in. Temps have been over 100f at the top and 115f at the bottom.

Strange, I have done a few sustained downhill drives and after a while my Roadster disables Regen (not range mode). I pinged engineering a few years ago about this and that is the answer they gave me.

It amazes me that you and others have actually done this - tow charged for 25 min! Never thought anyone would have the guts to try it! I've always wondered what would happen if you sustained 40kW charging for more than a minute or two. My hat goes off to you.

Without tow-charging and absent a 70A HPC or 70A J1772, you can make your own portable charger capable of 70A like I did. The challenge comes in connecting it to a power supply. Sometimes I install my own 90A breaker temporarily which is then wired to an industrial plug/socket capable of 100A into which I plug the portable charger. This is much faster than 70A chargers found at 3 phase wired buildings in the US because you can usually get 240v instead of 207v.