Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster: Should I purchase? Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Roadster owners and fans. I currently own a Tesla S (see below), and am considering purchasing a Roadster (not as primary transportation). Would like to hear answers to a few questions (apologies if some of these are too basic).
What is the differences in the wide disparity of prices from Tesla Preowned?
What are the options (pros and cons)?
What do you like? Don't like?
What should I consider prior to purchasing a Roadster?
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RNG

Price disparity has to do with model year mostly and "Sport" versus "Non-Sport". Keep in mind, it was a $20k option to have Sport (0.2 seconds quicker to 60mph and upgraded suspension).

Options are the typical stuff. Double DIN nav, or just nav (1.5), suspension, carbon fiber stuff here and there.

Love the car. Love the style. Love the attention. Love the acceleration. The complete lack of refinement is not as cool.

The biggest thing is the battery. If its of higher mileage, it'll have greater degradation. Other than that, there isn't much you can predict. Its actually not a very high-tech car once you take the battery out of the equation. If PEM fails, its about $13k to replace. If battery fails, $40k to replace. Battery doesn't usually require complete replacement, as typically its a "sheet" or a connection that failed. But repairing it is super involved and won't be a $200 job either. Its just that, during the warranty period, its been easier for Tesla just replace the battery and take their time to "repair and refurbish" the old one in their lab.

If you treat it like its a "Sports Car" and have that mentality going in, then its a fantastic car. Most of the issues with Roadster is typical of a sports car. 2-seats, small trunk (granted this one is waaaay small), big blind spot, low seating (this one is waaaay low).

Hello Roadster owners and fans. I currently own a Tesla S (see below), and am considering purchasing a Roadster (not as primary transportation). Would like to hear answers to a few questions (apologies if some of these are too basic).
What is the differences in the wide disparity of prices from Tesla Preowned?
What are the options (pros and cons)?
What do you like? Don't like?
What should I consider prior to purchasing a Roadster?
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RNG

If you expect a sports car, not a luxury car, then the Roadster is a kick-ass car.

You will likely find a price disparity between the 1.5 version (2008), 2.0 version (up to mid 2010), and 2.5 version. There are a lot more differences between 1.5 and 2.0 than there is between 2.0 and 2.5.

I loved everything about the Roadster. Even considered giving up my two kids to keep the Roadster, but eventually the missus prevailed. :-D

IMO the "Sport" is to be avoided. That's a lot of money to pay for a 0.2-second gain in 0-60 acceleration. My Roadster (VIN 1293, recently traded in with everything in mint condition in case you care to seek it out), was a non-sport 2.5 with all the updates and fixes plus the upgrades I really valued: the double-DIN entertainment system (which is actually not great but that's Alpine's fault), the upgraded adjustable suspension, and a couple of other things. Black wheels, black car, gray interior... yum. Called it "Vader".

All I would suggest is to make sure that both cars are driven regularly. I don't like to let anything with a battery sit idle for too long. Test drive a Roadster, and make up your own mind at the end. Oh, and make sure you enjoy attention, because a Roadster will get you lots and lots and lots of it. :)

Some great advice above. More recent versions cost more; but 2.5 wasn't really very different than 2.0 so that upgrade is often not worth it. That said, the seats are a little different so you might try sitting in both to see what you like. And the front fascia is different, so decide what you like best. (If you like the 2.5 front end, you might be able to find a cheaper "2.25", which is really a 2.0 with just the front end changed). 2.0 did have a lot of small improvements over 1.5 so most people see that upgrade as worth it, but then again a few little things got lost: physical shifter than makes parallel parking slightly easier, carbon fiber bits inside, etc. There are other threads detailing the exact changes between versions. When you're driving, most of them aren't very important.

You said the Roadster will not be primary transportation. If you are going to track it, you might appreciate the extra oomph from the Sport version. But if you're not, given that you are in Denver you might not have racing tires on most of the year, as Rodolfo says that's a lot of money to pay for small gain...that you may not see at all if you change the tires.

If you are tracking, the adjustable suspension will be valuable to get rid of understeer. It can also be set for comfort to make the ride nicer, but if this is not primary transportation that probably doesn't matter.

The base stereo is pretty lousy. But then, the Roadster is very noisy, especially with the top off - and the upgraded stereo ain't so hot either. So you may not care.

The car looks better with the hard top on; but it just takes too long to take it off, and you have to decide before you leave the house in the morning because there's no place to store it on the car. I do use a hard top for the worst winter months, but most of the year I prefer the soft top - rolled up in the trunk whenever possible. It's no big deal using the soft top in winter; weight, noise and heat retention aren't very different.

Private Roadsters (probably overpriced but very clean sample HERE) are generally a lot cheaper than Tesla's certified used ones. Tesla is including a 37-month extended warranty now, though.

I don't think any of the options are very important; I got a stripper model and I'm happy with it. The options that are important to me didn't come from Tesla: a mount for my cell for navigation; HID lamps; hitch for a bike rack, OVMS.

Tesla quoted me $9k to replace the PEM and $36k to replace the battery. Not that I've needed to; I was just curious. Odd that Jackyche was quoted more. (My figures don't include tax).

It is a blast to drive; unless I'm going on a road trip, I much prefer it to the Model S. It's noisy, it's small, it has a rough ride, it's expensive...but if you are OK with all of those (they are pretty standard sports-car qualities), I can't think of anything I'd rather have.

Last edited:
Have had mine exactly one year, from 3k to 7k miles. Currently (since getting ModelS) used for 3 mile trip to get mail and then 3 miles back. Also short trips up into mountains. Can sit for 6 - 7 weeks without plugging in @ this rate of use. Energy loss while idle = miniscule. Do keep it @120 v when night temps go below -10*F which is a few times per winter. Not sure if I've ever washed it; wind & snow take care of that. Nice solid roof which I've never removed; well insulated. Floor needs insulation/soundproofing kit installed. About as simple a fun car to keep as you will ever find. For winter driving you *must have* full set of good snows. The perfect antidote to ModelS & vice versa.
--

I try to never put a roof on mine...

I agree. I find myself still choosing the Roadster when the weather is nice (most of the time in Sandy Eggo). However I avoid using it routinely with the roof on, because I'm old and creaky and big, and I've hurt my shoulder and elbow getting in and out with the roof on. Except for that it's still the most fun an adult can have on a road.

Thanks to those that have posted both the information and the "Feels Good!" comments. Will do some looking. There have been some media information pieces about Lexus, Mercedes and Audi all producing Electric Supercars in the next couple of years. These are sure to be pricey luxury cars at least two of which will be using Tesla technology. Lexus apparently will be producing high end hybrid 2+2 GT car next year.

Thanks again. If one shows up in my garage soon, I will let you know.

RNG

Don't hold your breath. It would be good to see, but I'll believe it when I see it - in production.

+!

We have been reading those press releases since the day the Roadster was announced in 2006. All they want to do is to dangle a future car to slow down Tesla purchases (though now the Roadster is only used) and try to seem relevant.

The other thing we have seen with vapor sport EVs is computer generated drawings or shells with imaginary performance and/or range numbers that are either pathetic, or ridiculously defy the laws of physics.

Every prototype Tesla has ever built is a real working car that they give rides in at the debut party. They are the only real deal in performance electrics -unless you want a Rimac.