Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I believe I solved my seat belt rattle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always felt that the gentle annoying knock heard by my left ear had something to do with the seat belt mechanism. While driving, this can be heard as a low frequency knock that has no periodicity to it. It could be heard along with the rise of my chest while taking a deep inspiration, when I leaned forward slightly or when I did any significant adjustment in my seat. It was either intensified when pulling the belt out completely and holding it taut or worsened (I don't know why the duality). I also came to the conclusion it was the mechanism when I went driving around yesterday without my seat belt on :scared: and didn't hear any knocking.

So, below is the picture of the B-pillar cover with the seat belt.

2013-05-19 13.56.31.jpg

If you retract the seat belt superiorly, you get a better view of the inside of the pillar cover. Note the pieces of tape that the Chicago Service Center placed as a means of solving the problem.

2013-05-19 13.56.43.jpg

As you can see above, there is a plastic loop inside, and through this runs the actual belt. Below in a modified picture, I have outlined in red this plastic loop and show where it most likely runs behind the tan plastic molding or "grommet." (I don't actually know this, but I am guessing that's where it runs.) I think the plastic loop inside the pillar knocks against the "grommet" as the seat belt moves this ring/loop back and forth.

2013-05-19 13.56.43-2.jpg

I had some padded strip Velcro lying around, and I cut strip about 6 inches long and rolled it up as such:

2013-05-19 13.57.27.jpg

I wedged it between the tan plastic molding/"grommet" and the black plastic seat belt loop. I placed the rolled section inside, taking care to insert it between the tan "grommet" and having the "tail" hang outside along the seat belt itself. Lastly, I rotated the Velcro strip forward so that it padded the majority of the inner ring.

2013-05-19 13.58.41.jpg

I made sure the seat belt moved freely at this point, and I made a few hard stops while driving around. My solution did not appear to hinder the movement of the seat belt at all. After this, I enjoyed a blissful drive around the Village without any knocking that I could perceive. After I reached my destination, I took out the Velcro strip and drove around again. The knocking returned.

I replaced the Velcro strip, and the knocking went away again!

So, I think I have found a solution to at least my problem. I will be testing it over the week as I drive to and from work before I make my final determination. If any of you out there are willing to give this a try (or have a more elegant modification of this), I would be grateful. Hey, you never know! This might actually be the solution. If it is, I will show the service center the next time I am down there for anything else that comes up.

Last edited:
I hope your right. I installed the Velcro today. Been an annoyance to my wife from day one. Simple solution that does not hurt the integrating of the mechanism. I will update my results.

I did some additional driving this afternoon. The only knocking I experienced was when the Velcro slid towards the back. After moving it back into the right position, no more knocking. I really hope this work around does the trick, because that damn knocking is really souring the "silent ride" experience.

Kevin
I've "suffered" from this for 3 months, awaiting an entire new seat belt system that never seems to arrive in Chicago.
Sounds like (sorry) they need a slight redesign?
If I can follow your directions I'll make the correction too.
If not, I now where to find you!
Cheers!

I've been hearing a clicking sound from this seat belt area for quite some time. Today I decided to stick my finger in there where the "plastic loop" is. The clicking stopped. So I think this is a fix that will work for me too. I was thinking of possibly just wrapping/sticking the velcro around the "grommet".

I've been hearing a clicking sound from this seat belt area for quite some time. Today I decided to stick my finger in there where the "plastic loop" is. The clicking stopped. So I think this is a fix that will work for me too. I was thinking of possibly just wrapping/sticking the velcro around the "grommet".

I tried the finger method as well, and that convinced me the padding in there would work.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I haven't noticed any rattle from mine, but I'm sure I will now after reading this thread! I recall reading once of a solution for balky retraction of the rear seat belts being cured by removal of a plastic piece from inside the roller mechanism (done at a service center). Could this be the same piece?

awaiting an entire new seat belt system that never seems to arrive in Chicago.

completely unnecessary.

as i've explained in two other threads, this rattle/noise has NOTHING TO DO with the mechanics of the seat belt mechanism!!!!!!!!!!

it is simply the noise that comes from the seat belt fabric and the plastic cover rubbing together. it is a noise of that friction. that is all.

the reason the velcro works is because instead of the seat belt rubbing on the porous plastic, it's rubbing on the soft velcro surface, and those two materials don't create any friction.

so yes, velcro will work, a silk cloth would work, some sort of rubber would probably work.... anything for that belt to lay on and rub across other than the plastic that is currently there.

I disagree. It's not the belt rubbing. I've moved my Velcro strip -- and you're right, it could be any type of pad -- so that it covers only the belt and prevents it from rubbing the plastic. Doesn't stop the knocking. Tesla taped all around the plastic so the belt wouldn't rub against the plastic. That didn't help. Only my interposition graft helped the problem.

Now maybe you and I have different sounds coming from our respective cars, and mine is not the belt rubbing. If that were the case, Tesla's solution and my other attempts would have worked in the past. I've tried numerous different things and had Tesla look at it twice. This is the only thing that helps my situation, and probably it will help some others. It ain't the belt rubbing...

Last edited:
Have there been any recent suggested improvements on this fix ?
I find that hotter weather has made this more noticable.

Added Velcro on the white cover where the seat belt rubs ( depending on the angle it rubs in different places) and on the black internal seat belt guide where it touches the white cover..... noise gone.
Thanks for the tips

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I felt it was better to update this one than start a redundant one.

I have had this same knock for a while. I put some foam weather stripping in place between the grommet and the ring. I haven't noticed any knocking now, but I will have to try it out a while.

Does anyone know how to remove that grommet? I would prefer to put the weather strip on the inside so it is totally invisible. I thought the plastic piece would just pop off, but it seems to be fixed much stronger than that.

My car has the improved seats. What is rattling on mine is the seat belt pretensioner buckle against the plastic side of the seat cushion.

Apparently I am sitting on it wrong :)

May have to invent some kind of a sleeve for the buckle, but I'm hesitant as it may interfere with the function of the pretensioner if it ever needs to be deployed.