Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs. TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be able to have both; if you have an IRA, or 401K, buy some in that account. In 5-10 years, it will be enough to buy you more than 1 of the whatever the current Tesla Model is. If you have a home equity line of credit, you could pay for a Model S now [some have been known to do that with their paid off houses :) ]

The TSLA stock is certainly a wiser choice if your resources are limited, at least many of us feel that way. Of course you need tremendous patience, as the stock WILL likely be a very rocky ride, and is extremely high risk.

Update: disclosure, I own a Model S and I am long TSLA

Last edited:
It's too a difficult question. In my dreams there is a Roadster and the TSLA stock :)

I think it's easy for me: stock. Then sell it. Stock too risky, Model S too spendy.

Of course, neither my wife nor I have ridden in or driven one. (Yet: I do have a generous potential offer of a demo should the owner happen to make it this far north to visit friends (with enough charge left after all of their demos)).

It is amazing how much FUD and anti-Tesla, anti-BEV vitriol comes out in the comments section of any article about Tesla. I just don't get it...

People who have likely never seen a Model S, much less driven one or owned one, have "expert" opinions about its range, performance, and charging time. They are also "experts" in battery technology, along with economic and tax policy.

Where does all of this come from?

Do Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin and their ilk really have that much influence?

Its almost as if some people believe there will soon be government roadblocks (manned by FEMA and UN personnel in black helicopters) where they will take away their beloved ICE SUV and force them to drive a BEV...

I'd say the Model S. I've enjoyed the car more than a sober accounting of a certain dollar amount sitting in a retirement account somewhere would have provided. That being said, I wish I would have financed more of the car and plowed the cash into TSLA.

YES. As awesome as it has been to see my few shares of stock nearly triple in less than two months (!), it's a helluva a lot more fun to drive our Model S... But with PenFed & Alliant offering sub-2% interest rates, you can have your stock and drive it too.

I suppose it also depends on how much you need (want?) a new car, and your outlook on life. I decided not to wait, and to enjoy it now. :)

I'd say the Model S. I've enjoyed the car more than a sober accounting of a certain dollar amount sitting in a retirement account somewhere would have provided. That being said, I wish I would have financed more of the car and plowed the cash into TSLA.

Boy, ain't that the truth? I paid cash for the car and bought a bit of TSLA in the IPO, and some more early this year. If only I'd financed the car and put the cash in TSLA: woulda, coulda, shoulda.

If you had one choice, owning the Model S or the equivalent amount of TSLA (and TSLA could not fund a Tesla), which would you choose?

In computer speak, or allows both to happen. xor allows one or the other, but not both. Yes, I'm being a jakass. :)

I only really once choice, because I couldn't afford the 85 and only had enough for a 60 with the options I wanted.

What made me choose TSLA over the 60? My '90s gas-guzzling car still worked. But not only that, I visited the forums, took a P85 test drive, found lots of people who loved the car and really, really, really wanted one, read stories of kids depressed or crying when parents put them back into gas cars, skeptical-in-the-beginning wives now "stealing" their husbands' Model S for their own use, Elon listening to people and working to do the right thing for his company's customers, car-of-the-year awards from a few magazines, youtube videos of people screaming wow during test drives, major heavy shorting of the stock and, given the delivery rate, a good, first-time-profitable Q1 coming around the corner. How many people regretted purchasing the Model S? I couldn't find one. There was sooooo much love for the company and their Model S. That, to me, was a vote of confidence in the company. The last time I saw such a cult following was when I bought Apple shares in 2005.

I took a chance and plowed all my car money into TSLA at $36 in early March. However, I did not expect TSLA to reach such crazy heights and there's still a lot of risk. It's going to go up and down, but I'm going to hold on for the ride and hope the company will be able to beat back the entrenched dealerships, the oil companies, and become the disruptive game-changer that no one has yet heard about.

I will find another way to purchase a Model S, but for now, back to my old jalopy.

If only Warren Buffett had taken a stake in TSLA instead of BYD...

Last edited:
Tough choice. If you're under 55 get the stock. If you are older than 55 get the car. Why? Because owning the stock brings the potential for future gains over time, which can be converted into a pleasurable lifestyle. The operative words are "potential" and "over time". If you are older and are able to purchase the Model S now, then you should do it, and immediately enjoy your pleasurable lifestyle.

Hope this rationale makes sense.

@DavidM, I'd lower that age bar to 35-ish. Deep enough into one's career to justify such a car and early enough to really enjoy the car, young kids and all, for a long stretch of time. That's how I've looked at the car purchase all along.

For now, I've cashed out on TSLA and am sitting on the sidelines for a bit waiting - maybe interminably - for the froth to boil over.

@DavidM, I'd lower that age bar to 35-ish. Deep enough into one's career to justify such a car and early enough to really enjoy the car, young kids and all, for a long stretch of time. That's how I've looked at the car purchase all along.

For now, I've cashed out on TSLA and am sitting on the sidelines for a bit waiting - maybe interminably - for the froth to boil over.

@gg - I've also taken profits. Currently waiting for a dip to join the party once again. If I was 35 and faced with the decision to Tesla or TSLA, I would definitely get the stock and be first in line for the Gen III so it would come before my 40th birthday.