Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Revving Noise while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced a medium to loud revving noise while driving? It sounds like an ICE engine revving and I think it comes from the front of the car.

Also, as I come to a stop, there's a whining noise in the front of the car. It's a loud whining that starts out as a high pitch and decreases after a few seconds to zero noise.

Very strange.

Just got my car back from service and had them look at this. The A/C compressor is made by an auto parts supplier and this compressor was built to be high-efficiency for hybrids. It does sound almost like a turbine when it's particularly hot out, but it's considered normal. However, they're looking at ways to address this (some folks have had the service centers implement one-off fixes), but there's no "standard" fix yet. Essentially pre-cool the cabin on hot days as the sound/vibration goes away once the A/C isn't working as hard, and hope they find a permanent fix.

It is the fan in the driver side front bumper that forces air through the radiator for the compressor. It squeaks/squeals sometimes. You should have service take a look. It can happen when charging at higher amperage as well...

Has anyone experienced a medium to loud revving noise while driving? It sounds like an ICE engine revving and I think it comes from the front of the car.

On the first real hot day here, I noticed that too. Obviously the a/c compressor, but it is quite loud and even causes vibration in the car. I can feel it if I use the touch screen or just place my hand on the dash. Not particularly elegant for such an expensive car, and don't give me that "it's because there's no ICE to mask it" nonsense. It's way louder than the ICE and the a/c in any previous car I've had. It does seem to throttle back after a while, but if it roars like that when we get the real hot weather of summer, Service is going to have to take a look.

The temps here in Phoenix are pushing to over a 100. I do get this noise, vibration, but only when I first start the car and get going. It is pretty much gone after about a minute. Although it is loud in the beginning, I'm not bothered by it since it only lasts a minute.

Of course sound and vibration levels, acceptable/unacceptable are all subjective. As I mentioned, mine has been doing this since its been warm here inPHX for some time now. While loud ,it is noisy, and thus far, still what I would call normal and acceptable, esp. since it does go away after about a minute or 2. And I will say, I don't notice any vibration, then again I don't set it to LO since I find 68 is quite enoug to get it cool quickly even in the 100+ degree temps

Take yours in and get it checked if you think it's above an acceptable level, but be prepared to be told its normal.

Follow up note on this from today's drive. So, went to lunch. When I went to leave (and forgot to pre-cool), the revving starts up as normal. Once I got the family loaded into the car (about 2 min), the revving was still going. As I start to drive off, I notice the revving goes away. But I had to stop at a red light within a minute, and the revving started back up. Then I drove off at green, and the revving stopped. Got stopped again a minute later, and the revving started up. Then it went away.

So, again, I accept this as all normal and expected. I guess since I've driven a Volt for over a year in the heat, I'm used to the compressor sounds (for AC) and other sounds (for battery thermal mgmt system), esp on startup. But I found that it was interesting that once I press on the accelerator, the revving stops and only resumes when again I stop. So, I'm wondering if the revving is some sort of generator drawing the energy to work the AC when there is no draw from the motor.

I'll also repeat as I said in my prior posts, there's no vibration in the steering column at all. And I guess there's gonna be some very low amount of vibration somewhere, but its not felt. If you could block out the sound completely, I wouldn't really know its running.

And all that said, I will say that the AC in the MS runs circles around the Volt's. Its cooler, quieter, and much more efficient.

But I found that it was interesting that once I press on the accelerator, the revving stops and only resumes when again I stop. So, I'm wondering if the revving is some sort of generator drawing the energy to work the AC when there is no draw from the motor.
I'm going to guess that's the ECU stopping the compressor (or reducing the power) in order to maximize available power for acceleration. For the Volt, the compressor and fans can draw up to 5kW, which is still a fairly big accessory load.