Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Ring of Death - Almost didn't make it to King of Prussia Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After an evening trip to the ice cream stand, I plugged in good ol' #6117 in anticipation of a trip to the King of Prussia (PA) store opening tomorrow and got the Red Ring of Death (and three red flash pattern on my UMC). Noted 4 error messages

Car needs service, pull over when safe
Car needs service - Call
Car Needs Service - Cannot Drive
Car Needs Service - Cannot Charge

I called inside service and TJ ran me through a few fixes, none of which worked and he started to arrange for a flatbed to be dispatched.

While awaiting a callback, I took off my 14-50 adapter, replaced it with the 110 and went through the same sequence of reseting that I did with TJ before.
Voila- it worked and I started charging at 2-3 amps.

I called TJ and he had me switch back to the 14-50. It still works. He thinks that the 12v was low and that caused the problem. Because of the melting problems that some people had, I won't go to sleep with the 14-50 in tonight, but I'll still make the event. TJ told me that he had been on the phone with an engineer trying to get me a fix when I called him back. (Try that at GM)

It sounds to me like the 12v battery problem many of us are experiencing (me included). Not everybody is reporting the exact same thing, but in my case it was a connection between the DC to DC converter that causes the main pack to not charge the 12v. Hope you get yours resolved quickly.

Yes, the owner's opening was Thursday and Nick, the service mgr. brought a new UMC to the store for me. It seems though that that was the problem, as it has not recurred.

Hvb- I usually do charge overnight but because of the issue that Jerry linked to I did not until I got the new UMC.

That said, the new UMC seems not to be as quick to latch as the old one

Update: probably unrelated to the new orange flash I'd been getting for a while now.
Yesterday morning, I noticed my car didn't charge overnight. Uh oh. I had the "red ring of death" charging light, along with an on screen message indicating a charging fault. I emailed the Denver Service Center manager, not expecting to hear back til Monday (I still had 80%range so I was in no rush). Within an hour, he texted me and arranged to bring a new charge cord out to me, which he did last night. Bear in mind, this was the manager of the service center. Apparently, not only are they open and checking email on Saturday, but the manager sometimes is worked into the "call schedule" for ranger service. I guess if I got to drive a shiny new P85+ to make a 140 mile round trip house call, I would be just as happy to do so as he was.
He was impressed that I still had the original UMC, and stated that there were some changes a long time ago that make them much less likely to get the charging fault. It's something about an automatic shut-off to avoid overheating or something.
Love my service center!