Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conspiracy theories abound.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
"Conspiracy theories abound."

This quote is from Martin's latest blog 'Auto Show Happenings'.
I think Martin's tome required some previous knowlege.

I'm not clear on the full story of why there is a conspiracy and who is involved and what is the accusation?

Can someone explain this or send me to a link?

Thanks!

e

I think he was referring to battery patents.

The patents on NiMH batteries were previously owned by GM (during the EV1 era) and later sold to Chevron, who have used those patents to prevent anyone from making large NiMH batteries suitable for use in electric cars. All NiMH battery production (such as the common AA rechargeables) must be licensed from Chevron, and their licensing terms forbid batteries from being made above a certain specified size. This has been alluded to in Who Killed The Electric Car, and Future Crush, and other sources.

As new battery technologies are developed, I'm sure there will be more patent fights to come over them. Fortunately, most lithium battery patents are owned by Japanese companies who are not interested in suppressing the technology.

I've heard grumblings from some tree-hugger groups and conspiracy theorists that the patents on the NiMH are up soon. Does anyone know if these are similar to drug company patents in the sense that after 14 years, generics can be made? Jurst curious... If so, when is it up?

Tony wrote:
"The patents on NiMH batteries were previously owned by GM (during the EV1 era) and later sold to Chevron, who have used those patents to prevent anyone from making large NiMH batteries suitable for use in electric cars. All NiMH battery production (such as the common AA rechargeables) must be licensed from Chevron, and their licensing terms forbid batteries from being made above a certain specified size. This has been alluded to in Who Killed The Electric Car, and Future Crush, and other sources."

I knew about the NIMH story but he seems to be aluding to a L-ion conspiracy with the Johnson controls reference. (Saft makes Li-ion products)

Here's Martin's quote:
"Specifically, GM cites the Volt’s Li-ion batteries as problematic, even while acknowledging that Li-ion is the best available formulation. They recently awarded two parallel development contracts for the Volt’s battery system: one to Cobasys (together with A123) and the other to Johnson Controls/Saft. Through the U.S. Advanced Battery Consortium (USABC, comprising GM, Ford, and Chrysler), they also recently funneled $15 million into A123.

Cobasys, you might remember, is what Ovonic became after Texaco acquired it from GM. (Ovonic was Stan Ovshinsky’s company that made the NiMH batteries for the Gen 2 EV-1.) Hmm. Johnson Controls is tight with GM, making all sorts of components for GM (and others), especially car interiors. Johnson Controls bought battery maker Saft in 2005, I think. Conspiracy theories abound."