Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 speakers, where are they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get the upgraded sound system, there are 12 speakers (standard has 7). Where are they?

I see two on the A-pillars, four on the doors, and two at the very back on the lift gate. That's eight. Assuming there's a subwoofer somewhere, that's nine. I didn't count the grill that you see on the ceiling near the rear view mirror, as I just think that's the mic for voice commands and phone calls, but I'm not sure.

I thought maybe there were some speakers under the grill where the defroster vents are, but it doesn't look that way in the pictures I've seen of the defroster fix/refit that some people got.

What am I missing?

I do not have the Studio Sound package, but it looks like I DO have speakers in the lift-gate. I have not crawled back there to see if there are actually working speakers inside the enclosure. Anyone checked?

Are you sure? The speaker bar "grill" cover is there for sure, but there's no sound coming out of the lift-gate area on mine...

This is the link to KenEE's post where brianman is referring to:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...System-Quality?p=182133&viewfull=1#post182133
Tip for some reader. The icon
viewpost-right.png
next to KenEE is a hyperlink to the thread [and more specifically the actual post]. That goes for all quotes.

Last edited:
Tip for some reader. The icon
viewpost-right.png
next to KenEE is a hyperlink to the thread. That goes for all quotes.

It's better than that. The icon links directly to the post quoted.

Anyways, thanks for the info guys. So the graphic indicates that at least two of the "missing" speakers are under the grill at the bottom of the windshield, and that there is also a center channel speaker that might be under that grill, or else it's that thing on the ceiling by the rearview mirror. I'll have to listen and see if I can hear music coming out of that.

It's better than that. The icon links directly to the post quoted.

Anyways, thanks for the info guys. So the graphic indicates that at least two of the "missing" speakers are under the grill at the bottom of the windshield, and that there is also a center channel speaker that might be under that grill, or else it's that thing on the ceiling by the rearview mirror. I'll have to listen and see if I can hear music coming out of that.

No speaker in the grill by rear view mirror. Only microphones x 2. On the sound studio package, the grill along base of windshield has 3 speakers, 2 at corners, and in in center of grill - center channel.