Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nose cone is now loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After removing the nose cone a few times over the past several days, the clips no longer hold it tightly in place. Believe me, strong gust of wind from the wrong direction might make it fall off. All of the clips seem ok but perhaps a bit of very small wear is the problem. I have a solution but it will make easy removal of the nose cone much more problematic.

Anyone else having this problem with the nose cone?

Tried duct tape?

1duct+tape+repair1283537588.jpg

Artsci,

For my edification, are the clips attached to the nose cone or separate items? I am wondering if this is this a problem with your modified nose cone (with all the gizmos attached) or if your original nose cone would also have the problem?

After removing the nose cone a few times over the past several days, the clips no longer hold it tightly in place. Believe me, strong gust of wind from the wrong direction might make it fall off. All of the clips seem ok but perhaps a bit of very small wear is the problem. I have a solution but it will make easy removal of the nose cone much more problematic.

I'd ask Tesla Service for some replacement clips to purchase. I wouldn't do a workaround, I'd want the original clips.

On the chance that maybe user removal/replacement fatigue has set in: The lower clips fasten into their own holes which are adjacent to the decorative grid holes; it is easy for the clips to be placed in the wrong holes. The only way to avoid this is to be on your hands and knees and visually make sure the clips are fastened correctly. Doing it blindly will invariably have the clips in the wrong holes; I've done it and Tesla has done it. Between me and Tesla, my nose cone has been off about a 1/2 dozen times; it was loose two times due to the bottom clips being not being in their correct holes.

Hope that's the cause as having to remove the nose to access the auxiliary battery posts means this will be a wear item.

Artsci,

For my edification, are the clips attached to the nose cone or separate items? I am wondering if this is this a problem with your modified nose cone (with all the gizmos attached) or if your original nose cone would also have the problem?

What I called clips are actually tabs molded in the back of the nose cone plastic that snap into slots in metal surround. I think plastic fatigue is a way to describe the problem. The tab at the top center back of the nose cone is the one that's doesn't hold. But I found an easy fix tonight. I attached binder clips to the back of the tabs where they poke through the metal surround. Now it's very tight. This will make it more difficult to remove the nose cone, but that's ok with me.