Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like your idea; including it with a few of my own (some are either/or options, where offering one may mean they don't need to offer others):

1. Supercharger-capable battery upgrade
2. Battery upgrade (better range, lighter weight) without cost increase
3. Battery replacement cost decrease
4. Charging inlet upgrade to Model S connector (includes firmware fix to support 80A)
5. HPCs at Supercharger stations (better if the inlet can be upgraded and HPWCs are put at Supercharging stations)
6. Nitrogen cooling system for PEM and motor, along with gearing, tire and firmware changes for vastly improved acceleration
7. Extended warranty available, just like the Model S
8. Smartphone app works with Roadster 2.0 and 2.5 (and maybe hardware upgrade for 1.5?)
9. Guaranteed continued availability of parts we need and upgrades we might want (double-din, soundproofing, adjustable suspension, etc).
10. Discounted service pack bundles, just like the Model S

I am sure there has been a thread on Roadster upgrades before; but this is useful because it's in response to a specific note and timeframe - and because some Model S features and options have given us new ideas.

HPC at Supercharger station is nice, but not very practical unless you just need a few extra security miles whil you go to the food court...
Smartphone App - so they give us OVMS which many already have (OVMS is better than the app on the Model S though).

Something cool - maybe if you think Elon is a punster he is giving us a hint about nitrogen cooling as you mentioned!

For those of us with the patience to do a road trip with the Roadster, full HPC power at the Supercharger stations would be greatly appreciated! (Without Superchargers, long road trips are actually faster in a Roadster because of the significantly lower Wh/mi.)

70/80 amp availability at supercharger sites would be good - actual ability to use the supercharger would be even better.

As for acceleration improvement - I thought any significant improvement would require a new motor (MS Performance ???) and electronics. I also remember reading in another thread that the "confirmed rumor" was that the goal was 0-60 in sub 3 seconds or it would not be done.

To be honest, whatever upgrade Tesla has in mind, please keep it reasonably priced. Some of the stuff on the tesla site is a bit ridiculous. $3k for xenon lamps, $6k suspension, and my personal favorite, $1500 side CF air ducts.

Even with battery upgrade, I'm not sure if I'd go for it (even if its significantly cheaper than current $40k). No one ever said the Roadster was a road trip car. I know a lot of the members here have done long trips with it and I really do applaud them for their valiant effort, but c'mon, there are better ways to go. I have no range anxiety with its real-world 160 mile range day-to-day driving. My road trip to Vancouver BC is easily manageable.

I love this car for what it is. Just a few minor bug fixes and I'm good.

Please just fix some firmware stuff. 80amp bug, tire learning for 1.5's, maybe switch the tachometer out on the 1.5.

I would definitely vote for retrofit to allow use of superchargers and higher capacity batteries. I would love to be able to take road trips, but even if I could reach a 70A charger out there, sitting for 4 hours while I refill the battery means that I would never drive further than my max range with an overnight recharge to get back home.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and better brakes too!

I like your idea; including it with a few of my own (some are either/or options, where offering one may mean they don't need to offer others):

4. Charging inlet upgrade to Model S connector (includes firmware fix to support 80A)
5. HPCs at Supercharger stations (better if the inlet can be upgraded and HPWCs are put at Supercharging stations)
6. Nitrogen cooling system for PEM and motor, along with gearing, tire and firmware changes for vastly improved acceleration
8. Smartphone app works with Roadster 2.0 and 2.5 (and maybe hardware upgrade for 1.5?)
9. Guaranteed continued availability of parts we need and upgrades we might want (double-din, soundproofing, adjustable suspension, etc).

I am sure there has been a thread on Roadster upgrades before; but this is useful because it's in response to a specific note and timeframe - and because some Model S features and options have given us new ideas.

Chad you know how to build a christmas list!
I don't write letters to Santa any more, I write them to Elon.

I would definitely vote for retrofit to allow use of superchargers and higher capacity batteries.

I would love higher capacity batteries but I would prefer to keep the same range and increase performance if possible. But honestly I would prefer that for 5+ years from now when my battery pack starts having limited range. I would assume most Roadsters out there are 1-5 years old so I doubt many people will be willing to upgrade at this point.

It is interesting to think what different approaches they could take with a replacement battery. I am sure some owners would want one that offers the ultimate in performance and handling (mostly lighter weight and lower center of gravity) at any cost, some that want the most possible range for par or a small premium, and some that want the lowest possible cost so you are sure you can keep the thing running forever at a reasonable cost. Making the battery smaller and perhaps moving the PEM could free up more storage space. If you integrate the PEM into the battery's cooling you might also get more performance, but this is starting to get expensive and you need to cool the motor too. It would be really nice if they could pursue all of these and give us a choice.

But they are a small company and there are not many Roadsters. As far as new batteries go, I think we will only get one choice. Which means they have to figure out how to please everybody.

If it's notably worse in any regard than the current pack, people will scream. So they can't make sacrifices in one area (like range) to make big improvements in another (like performance). I suspect the new battery will be a little better at everything - a little lighter, a little more range, a little cheaper.

Then I predict that the cost conscious will just buy the replacement battery once their current battery is no longer good enough for their needs. Those seeking greater performance will not get the absolute lightest pack, but at least they will (I hope) be able to buy a separate cooling/firmware/gear kit that adds a ton of performance, while gaining from the new battery's slightly higher power availability and slightly lower weight.

And perhaps the range fans will get not a notably larger battery, but rather a separate inlet and wiring kit that lets them use Superchargers (should be doable with a new battery using model S cells that is in the same size range as the 60kWh). This may be at significant cost to cover installation AND use of the Supercharger network without buying a new car that has the cost built in.

That is one way to kind-of provide something for everybody while only making one replacement pack - nobody gets exactly what they want, but they can all get close if they pay enough. And to keep pack replacement costs down to avoid scaring future Model S or Gen 3 buyers, while also keeping with Tesla's M.O. of providing expensive options that are compelling when you upgrade. Because of course everybody will WANT the battery AND the performance kit AND the Supercharger kit; though nobody will want to pay for it all. (Maybe some high-performance-only fans will think they don't want the Supercharger kit...until Tesla figures out how to get Superchargers at race tracks...)

Last edited:
Seriously? Another of these threads? How much of the last one came through?

It is fine to speculate/dream, but we should all realize that the future of Tesla is not with the roadster. At every interview Elon gives he calls it step #1 of Tesla's road plan, and we're passed that already. We are well on the way to Gen III, and I don't see Tesla taking two steps back. It is not a profit centre any more (if ever), and they won't (and shouldn't IMHO) be taking resources away from Model S, X and/or Gen III for roadster upgrades.

If you really want to see what Tesla's intentions with the roadster are, look at the firmware upgrades for the past few years. Mine just went in for its annual service, and didn't need/get one. Maintenance mode only.

My guess is that they'll address the battery issue (they have to, as the roadsters age), and continue with minor cosmetic stuff. That's it.

+1, yes please!

I hear you; a lot of their promises have been delayed (I am still waiting for notification when my Roadster stops charging, which they promised would come soon over 3 years ago...fortunately I have OVMS). But I don't think many expected much while Tesla was struggling to get the Model S out and make it profitable.

But several things are different now: Musk said he would do something and even gave a date (though not a near one!), they have money (not a lot, but still) to spend on things other than their single top priority, there is now a supercharger network, and some of the cars are getting old enough that they will (as you noted) have to do something about the battery anyway.

I think they can charge Roadster owners enough to at least not lose money on this. But I think the bigger goal would be to show that Teslas have long useful lives, keep their loyal customers loyal, and keep resale values up. All of this will help them sell future cars.

My guess is that they'll address the battery issue (they have to, as the roadsters age), and continue with minor cosmetic stuff. That's it.

Which is what most of the stuff here is about...that and things that have already been promised, like remote access and a warranty. Even the perf package (which does a lot for Tesla's rep, and is not just a favor to owners) has already undergone development work. I don't think anybody is expecting scissor doors, auto-retracting hardtops or auto-pilot systems...

Last edited:

It is fine to speculate/dream, but we should all realize that the future of Tesla is not with the roadster. At every interview Elon gives he calls it step #1 of Tesla's road plan, and we're passed that already. We are well on the way to Gen III, and I don't see Tesla taking two steps back. It is not a profit centre any more (if ever), and they won't (and shouldn't IMHO) be taking resources away from Model S, X and/or Gen III for roadster upgrades.

If you really want to see what Tesla's intentions with the roadster are, look at the firmware upgrades for the past few years. Mine just went in for its annual service, and didn't need/get one. Maintenance mode only.

Some of us have seen the rumored upgrades (more than just me) - I suspect the problem is that there is just not anyone with bandwidth to push them over the finish line while dealing with Model S issues. If you don't take care of the customers who brought you to where you are today, well, that speaks volumes. I believe there will be real upgrades for the Roadster, beyond cosmetic. Time will tell which one of us is right. And who knows if I'll still have my Roadster then.

Some of us have seen the rumored upgrades (more than just me) - I suspect the problem is that there is just not anyone with bandwidth to push them over the finish line while dealing with Model S issues. If you don't take care of the customers who brought you to where you are today, well, that speaks volumes. I believe there will be real upgrades for the Roadster, beyond cosmetic. Time will tell which one of us is right. And who knows if I'll still have my Roadster then.

I agree. Everyone in engineering right now is straight out busy so they put the Roadster stuff on hold. But I don't think it's dead. Nobody will like the prices - the upgrades will be expensive and profitable.

It was a glaring omission not to install any HPCs at even one of the Supercharger sites. I think the reason for this is that they were planning all along to have a Tesla 2 plug conversion for the Roadster and some kind of Supercharger capability, whether with a pack upgrade or just some extra hardware.