Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug: FLAC metadata not showing up in Folder view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew

Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
I've started ripping my CDs to FLAC, thanks to the great conversations at TMC about FLAC and better audio quality (thanks, all!). However, I had been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why the metadata (artist, album, track number) wasn't showing up on either screen. Both Foobar2000 and Exact Audio Copy seemed to be tagging the tracks properly.

We're on v4.4 (1.3.11). I have no idea if this was a problem for earlier versions.

Turns out the issue is only when browsing by Folder: It shows the folder and filename fine, but doesn't display any metadata (nor does it show the album artwork). However, when browsing by artist, album, etc., it works great.

I'll email ownership to be sure they're aware of it, but wanted to mention it here in case anyone else has also been going in circles by this little bug.

I just checked and the few mp3s I have seem to be identical under folder view as do all my flac files (none show album art in the browse mode), so I don't think it's anything to do with the format, but just the folder view in general.

Some do and some don't (show the artwork) but I don't find it any different in browse mode than I do in any other mode. Of course, often the artwork it does show isn't correct, and some tracks don't show at all. Sometimes moving the files around on the thumb drive helps and sometimes it doesn't.