Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms LTE coming--requires Hardware Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Elon's tweeting:

"@elonmusk: @RaimisJ Tesla software knits together Google Voice, Slacker, Gracenote & others and streams over 3G (will be LTE later)"

"@elonmusk: @JasonPolstein Yeah, we don't do a good job of telling people about this feature. Requires hardware unfortunately."

Elon also confirms when the BIG software update is coming (or at least tethering)

"@elonmusk: @SeanChin @RaimisJ Over the air upgrade coming in a few months to allow tethering (and other things)."

Great to hear re: LTE. Sad Panda on "big update" being in a few months. In a few months the Model S would have been on the road (regardless how few) for over a year, and we'd be just getting something that should have arguably been there since launch. On the flip side, it's better to know (as much as one can "know" from an Elon tweet) than to be in the dark.

Great to hear re: LTE. Sad Panda on "big update" being in a few months. In a few months the Model S would have been on the road (regardless how few) for over a year, and we'd be just getting something that should have arguably been there since launch. On the flip side, it's better to know (as much as one can "know" from an Elon tweet) than to be in the dark.
As impatient as I am for new updates (it's addictive), I keep reminding myself "It's ready when it's ready" regarding software.

They obviously launched the Model S a little early to stop bleeding cash but things are finally in the more refined stage. Still lots of things missing but most of the false error messages, glitchy screens were eliminated (for me at least) after v4.2. Glad to hear they are finally commenting on LTE though.

"(will be LTE later)" ... "Requires hardware unfortunately."

So he did not confirm a hardware upgrade, despite the thread title. He confirmed (a) LTE availability at some point (unsurprising/expected) and (b) hardware requirement (obvious). A hardware upgrade option would be great, but they could update the assembly line going forward and not offer an upgrade. Hopefully they will, but that's not what he said--though perhaps he meant it.

Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I feel like I see this a lot--vague Tesla comment, specific community interpretation, then different reality. So I don't want to presume too much based on a couple of vague tweets.

But I'll cross my fingers! ;-) Whether I'd upgrade depends on connectivity pricing, anyway.

Of course it's also possible that the hardware upgrade isn't a retrofit, but simply a design change. Either for later Model S production or for the Model X. An upgrade would be nice, but I didn't buy the car predicated on getting LTE. I might feel quite different if I was a Signature purchaser.

Of course it's also possible that the hardware upgrade isn't a retrofit, but simply a design change. .... I might feel quite different if I was a Signature purchaser.
We're getting used to it. Happy about it? No. Used to it? Yes.

Signature is starting to feel like an "original reproduction" on "authentic paper" that has theoretical collector value, but isn't as good as a new reproduction on fresh paper.

Not following how the thread title doesn't reflect the content. He confirmed that a hardware upgrade is required to support LTE.

He said he requires hardware...not that a hardware upgrade would be offered to existing owners. Perhaps I misinterpreted your title--apologies, if so! To me, "upgrade" means something changed in something that exists, i.e., an upgrade to existing Model S cars on the road. Again, sorry if I misinterpreted you.