Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used my G-tech meter today to get 0-60 times. I made ten runs, the best being 4.255 and 4.297, the rest were above 4.3. I did the first 3 or 4 runs with no power braking. The next couple of runs used power braking and I saw no improvement. The final 3 or 4 runs used power braking and performance mode. I did not do a performance charge. I started with a full standard charge. The question is, where did those three or four tenths go? I learned that 100 pounds is worth about a tenth of a second so that shouldn't be the problem. I had TC off but had no wheel spin. My car is a 1.5. Could a performance charge make that much difference? Any other ideas? Have any of you guys got 0-60 times for your cars?

I used my G-tech meter today to get 0-60 times. I made ten runs, the best being 4.255 and 4.297, the rest were above 4.3. I did the first 3 or 4 runs with no power braking. The next couple of runs used power braking and I saw no improvement. The final 3 or 4 runs used power braking and performance mode. I did not do a performance charge. I started with a full standard charge. The question is, where did those three or four tenths go? I learned that 100 pounds is worth about a tenth of a second so that shouldn't be the problem. I had TC off but had no wheel spin. My car is a 1.5. Could a performance charge make that much difference? Any other ideas? Have any of you guys got 0-60 times for your cars?

how are your rear tires? what tire pressure are you running?

how are your rear tires? what tire pressure are you running?

My tire pressure in the rear is 40 psi. They are the AD07's and they are now slicks! :biggrin: The stretch of road that I'm using is not the smoothest around though I don't feel any wheel spin. I will try a road with some better pavement and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

For maximum power delivery, you want the pack to be nearly full, and warm (which is why Performance charge mode allows the pack to warm up).

I would have thought ten runs with three or four minutes in between would have warmed up the battery plenty? I was surprised when I checked the temps after I was done and the motor and the PEM were hotter than the battery.

Thanks

I would have thought ten runs with three or four minutes in between would have warmed up the battery plenty? I was surprised when I checked the temps after I was done and the motor and the PEM were hotter than the battery.

The battery has a LOT of thermal mass. In my experience the limiting factor for track use is the motor, not the PEM or battery. The PEM cools down pretty quickly once you stop beating on it; the motor takes longer.

Also after ten runs the pack may have warmed up some, but it also won't be full. The higher voltage of a full battery helps deliver more power.

The battery has a LOT of thermal mass. In my experience the limiting factor for track use is the motor, not the PEM or battery. The PEM cools down pretty quickly once you stop beating on it; the motor takes longer.

Also after ten runs the pack may have warmed up some, but it also won't be full. The higher voltage of a full battery helps deliver more power.

Ok, I'll give it a performance charge and try again.

Thanks!

Search TMC for drag strip times 0-60 and what was giving the best results for those trying for records. I do remember the pack had to be freshly FULL. (Does an ICE car do 0-60 runs with the gas tank nearly empty to save weight?)

TC in an electric car (at least a Tesla) has got to be superior to any human. The Roadster is pretty much a computer running on the microsecond edge of a controlled burnout.

There was lots of discussion of 0-60 times being "helped" by a rollout when the MS came along, Not sure if that was a factor in the R times back in the day.

The performance charge unfortunatley didn't help my 0-60 times much. I did seven runs with a best of 4.217 and the worst was 4.299. The average was 4.25. About half of those was with TC enabled and I saw no difference. There was no seat of the pants difference for me between the performance and normal charges. My average time was 4.31 using the standard charge. 4.3 or even 4.2 is a long way from 3.9. I'm stumped and not particularly happy, any ideas?

The performance charge unfortunatley didn't help my 0-60 times much. I did seven runs with a best of 4.217 and the worst was 4.299. The average was 4.25. About half of those was with TC enabled and I saw no difference. There was no seat of the pants difference for me between the performance and normal charges. My average time was 4.31 using the standard charge. 4.3 or even 4.2 is a long way from 3.9. I'm stumped and not particularly happy, any ideas?

I just realized that I failed to set up the G-tech properly for my performance charge runs. The car won't be any faster but the numbers may be different? I'll report back.

I just realized that I failed to set up the G-tech properly for my performance charge runs. The car won't be any faster but the numbers may be different? I'll report back.

I went out and repeated my 0-60 tests today with the G-Tech properly set up. There was no change in the results. Their website says that the 0-60 number should be accurate to within two tenths so maybe my car is not that far off the 3.9? I wonder if battery condition affects acceleration? According to Tom's survey, my car battery ranks below average but not way below. Would the car with the best battery be any faster than the car with the worst?

I went out and repeated my 0-60 tests today with the G-Tech properly set up. There was no change in the results. Their website says that the 0-60 number should be accurate to within two tenths so maybe my car is not that far off the 3.9? I wonder if battery condition affects acceleration? According to Tom's survey, my car battery ranks below average but not way below. Would the car with the best battery be any faster than the car with the worst?
An older battery will have higher internal resistance which decreases battery voltage and thus peak power. If you have a way to compare the battery voltage of your battery with other cars then you should have a good idea of if it's your battery that's making your 0-60 slower.

A brand new Roadster will have a nominal battery voltage of 366.3V (99*3.7V) and peak voltage of 415.8V (99*4.2V). You can get the nominal number for your pack at about 50% SOC and the peak number immediately after you finish charging.

I thought the 1.5's never quite made the sub-4.0 mark; they didn't hit that until the 2.0's. Or am I thinking of the 1.0's, and they hit their target with the 1.5? (All 1.0 were upgraded to 1.5).

I do remember a 1.5 owner saying his car was a little slower, but had other features that he appreciated more.

I thought the 1.5's never quite made the sub-4.0 mark; they didn't hit that until the 2.0's. Or am I thinking of the 1.0's, and they hit their target with the 1.5? (All 1.0 were upgraded to 1.5).

I do remember a 1.5 owner saying his car was a little slower, but had other features that he appreciated more.
You may be right. It seems this exact statement was said in a thread in response to Pantera Dude:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...3-9-0-60-Times?p=228953&viewfull=1#post228953

You may be right. It seems this exact statement was said in a thread in response to Pantera Dude:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...3-9-0-60-Times?p=228953&viewfull=1#post228953

How quickly we forget! :tongue:

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the 1.5's never quite made the sub-4.0 mark; they didn't hit that until the 2.0's. ]

I don't recall hearing an explanation why there was a difference between the two? Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

An older battery will have higher internal resistance which decreases battery voltage and thus peak power. If you have a way to compare the battery voltage of your battery with other cars then you should have a good idea of if it's your battery that's making your 0-60 slower.

A brand new Roadster will have a nominal battery voltage of 366.3V (99*3.7V) and peak voltage of 415.8V (99*4.2V). You can get the nominal number for your pack at about 50% SOC and the peak number immediately after you finish charging.

Thanks!
I see my voltage is 4.1 @85% after a standard charge. Could the difference between 4.1 and 4.2 be enough to make a measurable performance difference? As I look at those voltage numbers, I notice they are almost identical to the 0-60 stats. So it appears that the difference in voltage could equate to a tenth of a second in the 0-60 test?

Thanks!
I see my voltage is 4.1 @85% after a standard charge. Could the difference between 4.1 and 4.2 be enough to make a measurable performance difference? As I look at those voltage numbers, I notice they are almost identical to the 0-60 stats. So it appears that the difference in voltage could equate to a tenth of a second in the 0-60 test?
Actually that was my mistake. The max actually for the Roadster is 4.15V (so 410.85 for the pack), not 4.2V. This is to protect the long term battery life. I think you see 4.15V after a range charge (100%). 4.1V@85% seems normal.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/bit-about-batteries

I don't know if the Roadster interface still allows you to see battery voltage after this, but you may have to disconnect the charger, maybe use some light accessories or drive it a bit to see how the battery voltage responds. Immediately off the charger it might hold to a high voltage. If at about 50% SOC your cell voltage is still at about 3.7V (with a light load) then it should not have anything to do with your battery age, but maybe more with the fact that it's a 1.5.

But overall, I don't think it's much to worry about. From the looks of it a brand new 1.5 probably got something slightly over 4.0 seconds (I think Road and Track got this number in their test of a 2009 Roadster with a 1 ft rollout). And given the error range of your measurement device is about 0.2 seconds (seems kind of high, I'm assuming maybe +/- 0.1 seconds) it seems your car might be on the dot. I think the main thing that matters for the G-Tech is a flat road and that it measures assuming absolutely no rollout. Road and Track says the rollout is subtracted from their time and this can vary from 0.2 seconds to 0.4 seconds, so the real standing 0-60 time they got is probably ~4.2 seconds.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/2009-tesla-roadster
http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-reports/how-we-test

Last edited:
Actually that was my mistake. The max actually for the Roadster is 4.15V (so 410.85 for the pack), not 4.2V. This is to protect the long term battery life. I think you see 4.15V after a range charge (100%). 4.1V@85% seems normal.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/bit-about-batteries

I don't know if the Roadster interface still allows you to see battery voltage after this, but you may have to disconnect the charger, maybe use some light accessories or drive it a bit to see how the battery voltage responds. Immediately off the charger it might hold to a high voltage. If at about 50% SOC your cell voltage is still at about 3.7V (with a light load) then it should not have anything to do with your battery age, but maybe more with the fact that it's a 1.5.

But overall, I don't think it's much to worry about. From the looks of it a brand new 1.5 probably got something slightly over 4.0 seconds (I think Road and Track got this number in their test of a 2009 Roadster with a 1 ft rollout). And given the error range of your measurement device is about 0.2 seconds (seems kind of high, I'm assuming maybe +/- 0.1 seconds) it seems your car might be on the dot. I think the main thing that matters for the G-Tech is a flat road and that it measures assuming absolutely no rollout. Road and Track says the rollout is subtracted from their time and this can vary from 0.2 seconds to 0.4 seconds, so the real standing 0-60 time they got is probably ~4.2 seconds.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/2009-tesla-roadster
http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-reports/how-we-test

Thanks for all the good info, I really appreciate it and it makes me feel better about the performance of my car. :biggrin: I just read in my G-Tech manual that rollout can account for almost five tenths in the quarter mile! It appears that trap speed is far more consistent.