Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Area Liner Mat for Easy Cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

weccman

Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
When I got my Model S last October, we had a problem. I wanted to keep the interior nice and my wife wanted to be able to let our dog come along with us on our newly-encouraged adventures. She solved the problem by creating something we call the BackMat. I posted these photos at post 800 under Owners Delivery Stories, Photos, and First Impressions, letting folks know that Roseanne was willing to make a few more BackMats for Model S owners.
Gypsy in the Model S.jpg
IMG_3567.jpg

Here are the specs on this product: Tesla Model S BackMat :
Custom made durable cargo area carpet liner and protector
Precisely fits back cargo compartment of Tesla Model S with seats up or down
High quality polyester fiber made from 100% post consumer recycled plastic bottles
Tough but light weight indoor-outdoor carpet
Mold, mildew, and stain resistant
Excellent color-fastness and UV protection
Vacuum or shake out, rinse with a hose, spot clean with mild detergent, air dry
Self adhering to Tesla's carpet with velcro-like attachments at strategic points
Easily allows vehicle seats to be moved up or down without repositioning the BackMat
Priced at $100 plus shipping (estimated $15) and available in split seat style (to allow only one seat down) for additional $10

If any TMC members are interested in this solution to how to keep the Model S pristine while still taking your canine friend along, you can e-mail [email protected].

Here is one more picture of the BackMat made in a taupe color:
IMG_3994-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After setting this thread up, I just discovered that Tesla has created a weatherproof mat for the back cargo area (now out of stock) that sells for $200. It will be a better solution for those who need a waterproof mat and do not need coverage to the sides of the compartment. The advantage of our BackMat solution is that it covers the sides of the cargo area (protecting from dog hair) and the backs of the second row seats so that they can be folded down for larger cargo area that is also covered. It is also a bit less expensive. Our BackMat allows easy access to the side cubbies and the rear trunk well.

Interested but suggestion: Can you create a folding lip that lays flat but can be folded out to cover the rear bumper. This way, when the dog jumps in, there's no risk of scratching? Could also be helpful if loading or unloading objects that might scratch the exposed surface along the entrance. As it is now, it's great protection for when the dog is already in the car, but not getting in and out.

Interested but suggestion: Can you create a folding lip that lays flat but can be folded out to cover the rear bumper. This way, when the dog jumps in, there's no risk of scratching? Could also be helpful if loading or unloading objects that might scratch the exposed surface along the entrance. As it is now, it's great protection for when the dog is already in the car, but not getting in and out.
That's a great idea

I have to apologize to anyone who wanted one of our BackMats over the past year or so. I have not been monitoring TMC very well in 2016. The produce is still available, but as noted above, you need to e-mail [email protected] because she needs to send some information that will allow you to get a version that works in the car you are driving. Changes by Tesla in the materials used and how the seats are configured have caused us to have to make some changes in design of the mat. And she is now making a version with the bumper protection flap that is mentioned in a post above. It has proven pretty popular, especially for folks who put their bikes in and out of the car.
IMG_0405.jpg

Reactions: Boourns