Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
  • The RangerEV is the best car I have owned for creeping along at low speeds in parking lots. It is so smooth and controllable going at < 1mph.

• Germany is a weird market for EVs. On the one hand they have alt energy euphoria, but on the other hand the Autobahn is the perfect place to show EV shortcomings.

• EVs are great for "metropolitan area transport". A Tesla roaming the SF bay area or greater LA is wondrous. EVs are not so good for wide open spaces. Rural Nevada or Wyoming (for instance) shows of the limitations of range at high speed. A huge benefit of EVs (and hybrids for that matter) is the recapture of energy by regen. In a big city or hillside that is very useful. Out on a wide open highway it doesn't make much difference.

Random Responses

• Do you feel that this makes a good case for the continued implementation of "creep" in EVs? Were you able to try this out in Martin's car?

• It would be interesting to know the underlying statstics for 90% of all car journeys in various Western countries. I would expect that the vast majority are short range/low speed. Auto advertising skews our perception of need with endless images of empty roads and evocations of personal freedom and performance. No one really wants to be reminded of the reality of their typical commute.

• The wide open highway is one of those powerful images of America. The wide open train track needs better PR. Plus more investment.

It would be interesting to know the underlying statstics for 90% of all car journeys in various Western countries. I would expect that the vast majority are short range/low speed. Auto advertising skews our perception of need with endless images of empty roads and evocations of personal freedom and performance. No one really wants to be reminded of the reality of their typical commute.

I have an endless empty road that runs about sixty feet away from my house. :biggrin:

Really. . . When I want to take drive through the back country, all I have to do is pull out of my driveway and turn left. And if I want to go to town for groceries, mail, etc. . . Then I turn right, and it's half a mile to town. That's the closest thing to a "commute" that I know.

Thanks for reminding me of where I live, and how fortunate I am.

Utopia, Texas | mad housewife

Do you feel that this makes a good case for the continued implementation of "creep" in EVs? Were you able to try this out in Martin's car?

Being that it was DT1.0, I would expect it wasn't representative of how (production) DT1.5 behaves at low speeds.

It felt very smooth and natural to drive though.

Last edited:
I did touch upon this in my description of my experience with the Tesla when I drove it. As I said then, as soon as you get used to the feeling of creep it is actually very useful in slow driving or in stop and go traffic. All that in addition to being very efficient use of power of course. I'm not sure how parking with creep would be, but generally speaking parking is never good with my experience levels :D

Cobos

One of the EVs I drove recently had a problem with the accelerator pedal. It was like it was either no power or full power with little in between. Not an ideal driving experience! Little details can make all the difference.

I have confidence that Tesla has optimized their driving dynamics. Lets hope that quality control and long term reliability live up to those standards.