Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Options I would Buy now that I have 2 teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

josh

Nov 17, 2008
In case this is useful for anyone. I realize it's one man's view and many will disagree with these choices, but having actually now owned two Model S with radically different specs, I have a clear preference:

My first was a p85 performance with every option, my second was a 60kwh, lightly optioned: metallic paint, leather, tech package, rear seats.

Difference between the two cars was about $30K, or 50% more expensive for the first.

Having driven them both a bunch:

* for general bay area usage, in my case the 60kwh is PLENTY of range, obviously this is a personal situation element
* however, I would not get the performance package again. I have other real (i.e. handling) performance cars. The 60 is fast, for sure. the 80 is ridiculous in straight line, mediocre in corners (which is fine, it's a cruiser) and you totally can't make use of the performance power except rocketing up onramps. fun for the first couple of months, fun for showing off, but not worth the $. 60kwh acceleration is still good.
* I prefer the 19s to the 21s. the tesla is the first car I've ever put curb rash on, and I think I have it on three wheels! the rims are super vulnerable, and with how wide this thing is and the visibility, I found it impossible to avoid. 19s much better for this, I personally think they look better than the turbines, ride better, cheaper tires... I think the 19s are a no brainer. but, I also think this isn't the car to throw around corners, and if you did maybe you'd disagree
* tech package is a no brainer, you have to get it, what you want to live without turn-by-turn navigation?
* stereo: the quality difference is marginal, both are mediocre, but it's not overly expensive, I could go either way on this one but when I take the lower spec car I've never once thought that the radio was noticeably worse
* twin chargers: waste of money in the first car, I wouldn't get again, this is a car you charge overnight
* Pano roof: up to you, no insight for you
* Active air suspension: hmm. I would say the ride benefits are not at all noticeable. I would probably not buy this. I have a steep scrap-y driveway in low cars, an so when I got the performance model I would raise it and avoid scraping. But the geometry of the suspension and the 19" wheels, that car doesn't scrape in basic configuration, so it turns out not to be necessary, and the on-road benefits are not noticeable in my view. ALso the reliability history of every car company that has done air suspension (audi, merc) has been lousy, and it's expensive when it breaks, so I'd definitely get the warranty if you get this
* Paint armor: I would definitely get this, either from tesla or somewhere else. I got a little scrape on the pax rear fender (this car is wide!) and to my surprise the paint armor there largely saved me.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised, I would be the type of person who'd generally want the most car money could buy, but if I did it again, even without a ton of price sensitivity, I would go much more lightly optioned, and if you are price sensitive, I would argue it's a no brainer, at least if you're like me.

* for general bay area usage, in my case the 60kwh is PLENTY of range, obviously this is a personal situation element
* however, I would not get the performance package again. I have other real (i.e. handling) performance cars. The 60 is fast, for sure. the 80 is ridiculous in straight line, mediocre in corners (which is fine, it's a cruiser) and you totally can't make use of the performance power except rocketing up onramps. fun for the first couple of months, fun for showing off, but not worth the $. 60kwh acceleration is still good.
* I prefer the 19s to the 21s. the tesla is the first car I've ever put curb rash on, and I think I have it on three wheels! the rims are super vulnerable, and with how wide this thing is and the visibility, I found it impossible to avoid. 19s much better for this, I personally think they look better than the turbines, ride better, cheaper tires... I think the 19s are a no brainer. but, I also think this isn't the car to throw around corners, and if you did maybe you'd disagree

I pretty much agree with what you are saying.

I am glad I did not get the performance version, I just happened to write a long post about this myself. Doesn't make too much sense in the populated bay area.

I also have a lot of curb rash. I had one wheel on my Roadster have curb rash. I think the problem is a lot of tight parking spots and such a wide car. But I love the look of the 21", even if they are rashed!

You always need to consider opportunity cost of money even if you can afford something.

Your post is VERY useful for someone who hasn't purchased their car.
For those of us who have, it validates some of our choices.
You are the perfect one to compare b/c you have both.

I purchased the 85 although not sure I need that kind of range. I think it gives people a sense of security knowing they have "extra" range.
Got the pano roof and leather seats primarily for looks, and the parcel shelf (which is a rip at $250, but it does a nice job).

No Performance, no 21" wheels, no premium sound, no active air, no twin charger.
And no tech package. Why? Because I think the amount they want for turn-by-turn navigation is too much. My little $89 TomTom does a great job and it's almost always right.

I did not get factory paint armor but I did get Xpel Ultimate ppf for the entire front of the car, headlights, outside mirrors, all door edges, in front and back of rear tires, and door handles. Rear bumper will be next. I think the Xpel product is vastly superior to the factory stuff.

Again, thanks so much.

I love everything on my car. I have everything except the rear facing seats. Certainly some things are more worth the money than other things. My concern is the air suspension may coast me in repairs.

I have made trade offs to afford this car but will never miss a meal due to it.

Some good thoughts. I almost did not get the XM, figured I might want it someday and went for it. I'm glad I did because I live is the far suburbs and the AM is useless and the FM almost so. I subscribed to XM after a few weeks, and while it is not as good as my wife's Sirius, it is better than the FM.

I bought the air suspension to avoid the delay and I can only hope that TM (and Continental) are better at it than some of the others, because I hear that it is excluded fron the warranty.

Great post!

What about the new Performance Plus option, that has wider (staggered?) wheels and upgraded tires, new suspension geometry, etc? Does that make the car less of a cruiser and a worthy handler given the horsepower?

I would say not. The Tesla's incredible weight won't be mitigated sufficiently by this upgrade. I would be happy to be proven wrong, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't get buying two of the same type of car, regardless of make and model. I'd really hold out (if you have the patience) for the Model X. I'm certain the X will take fit, finish, and polish to a whole new level higher than the S. And with AWD, it would be wicked fast too.

Of course you may be already planning on buying the X too.

In case this is useful for anyone. I realize it's one man's view and many will disagree with these choices, but having actually now owned two Model S with radically different specs, I have a clear preference:

My first was a p85 performance with every option, my second was a 60kwh, lightly optioned: metallic paint, leather, tech package, rear seats.

Difference between the two cars was about $30K, or 50% more expensive for the first.

Having driven them both a bunch:

* tech package is a no brainer, you have to get it, what you want to live without turn-by-turn navigation?
* stereo: the quality difference is marginal, both are mediocre, but it's not overly expensive, I could go either way on this one but when I take the lower spec car I've never once thought that the radio was noticeably worse
* twin chargers: waste of money in the first car, I wouldn't get again, this is a car you charge overnight
* Pano roof: up to you, no insight for you
* Active air suspension: hmm. I would say the ride benefits are not at all noticeable. I would probably not buy this. I have a steep scrap-y driveway in low cars, an so when I got the performance model I would raise it and avoid scraping. But the geometry of the suspension and the 19" wheels, that car doesn't scrape in basic configuration, so it turns out not to be necessary, and the on-road benefits are not noticeable in my view. ALso the reliability history of every car company that has done air suspension (audi, merc) has been lousy, and it's expensive when it breaks, so I'd definitely get the warranty if you get this
* Paint armor: I would definitely get this, either from tesla or somewhere else. I got a little scrape on the pax rear fender (this car is wide!) and to my surprise the paint armor there largely saved me.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised, I would be the type of person who'd generally want the most car money could buy, but if I did it again, even without a ton of price sensitivity, I would go much more lightly optioned, and if you are price sensitive, I would argue it's a no brainer, at least if you're like me.

Josh:

Thanks for an excellent analysis. I have a Blue 85 due in 4 weeks and a Grey 60 for my wife due in 8 weeks. I love cars, can afford two nice cars, but am also very value oriented. I did not originally order tech on my 85 but changed my mind after confirming my configuration. Called Tesla and they were very accommodating to add tech without delaying production. My wife loves gadgets so did include tech on her order. Passed on air suspension for the reasons you mentioned and very happy to hear recent non-air owners saying they are happy with their ride. Leather in both due to wanting color and dash trim choices. No sunroofs as we have hardly ever used them in previous cars. Also base radio as we are not real audio buffs. 19" wheels on both again for the many reasons (front end cost, tire replacement cost and curb rash) you mentioned. With this week's CR report that the MS is the best car they have ever driven, I am not sure I am going to survive the wait for the these cars to arrive. My thought on the earlier post questioning why someone would buy two MS cars is if the MS is one of the best cars on the road today, why would I want to drive anything else. With its capacity I don't the MX is all that compelling, and as fast as battery/EV technology is moving we will probably replace one of the cars within 3-4 years anyway. Cars, colors and options should always be a personal choice and I respect others preferences that differ from mine, but it was nice to hear your thoughts which somewhat validate my configuration choices on two cars.

Josh,

As a fellow Bay Area resident, let me thank you for the write-up. I'm hoping to get an MS sometime in the next year or two, and I am kind of budget-concious. I was thinking that the 60 ought to be plenty for Bay Area driving, but having it confirmed is nice to read. When the time comes, I'm thinking the only options I'll get are pano roof, tech, and upgraded sound. (Maybe the parcel shelf too.)

Not sure on the paint armor. I would want the car to look it's best, but at the same time I'm of a philosophy that cars are meant to be driven in the real world, and in the real world dings and paint chips happen.

As for the wheels, I've seen both in person, and while I think both look good, I actually prefer the look of the 19s. I think the turbines actually look a bit out of proportion with the rest of the car, at least from certain angles.

In case this is useful for anyone. I realize it's one man's view and many will disagree with these choices, but having actually now owned two Model S with radically different specs, I have a clear preference

Yes, it is useful to hear a comparison from one who has driven the higher-end and lower-end of the spectrum over a longer term than just a few, limited tested drives. Thank you very much!

I really don't get buying two of the same type of car, regardless of make and model. I'd really hold out (if you have the patience) for the Model X. I'm certain the X will take fit, finish, and polish to a whole new level higher than the S.

Simple. Depending on the circumstances, it may have been possible they were thinking that the Model X doesn't yet exist and don't know when it will exist. Or they both loved the car so much and it was in such a different class than all the cars out there, it was THE car to get. How many have taken the Model X for a test drive?

Thanks for your views. A lot of this is matching exactly what I would have said...

I especially appreciate your comparison of the stereos. I find the (ordinary!) stereo sounds better than in any other car I've driven, but I eventually realized that's simply because the car isn't making engine noises, nothing to do with the stereo system at all!

The twin chargers: this is really a matter of whether you're ever going to make road trips where the best charging is from 70 amps / 90 amps stations. In other words, if you're in Canada and take road trips using Sun Country Highway equipment, you want twin chargers.

I recommend the twin chargers solely because you'll be annoyed if a 90 amp charging network pops up around you and you can't use them (or have to spend quite a lot on the retrofit). That's the same reason I'd recommend Supercharger access. Even though you're not going to use either of these things regularly -- and I haven't used either of them yet -- you will probably be ticked off if you decide to take a road trip and suddenly you *could have* done it, *but for* not having Supercharger access / twin chargers. However if that scenario wouldn't frustrate you the way it would frustrate me, then by all means don't get them.

I will say y'all are convincing me that I maybe should get aftermarket paint armor.

Regarding the air suspension, I still am unsure. The ride benefits may not be noticeable... to you. But you're driving on pretty nice roads in the Bay area. The question is, are the ride benefits noticeable on the beat-up, potholed, rutted, roads we have out here? Including the brick one with the four-inch-deep rut? And I would only be able to answer that if you brought your cars out here to test. :biggrin: The smoothness of driving on such roads is certainly nicer with my air-suspension Model S than it is any other car I've driven on such roads, though that could be due to things other than the suspension. Also, I don't know whether a model S with the standard suspension would have scraped the ground driving over the constructed bumps on the grass field at the drive-in, or bouncing through the potholes in the dirt parking lot at a farm... but these are things I'm guessing you haven't tested. :wink:

Reading another thread, I have a question for josh.

You have a performance and a non-performance. I'd like you to compare the seats. I know that they are made out of slightly different materials, but the question is: are they the same shape or different? I was under the impression that the side bolsters were larger in the Performance model. Or are they identical?

Nice to see the comparison from the same owner. I am a tech package fan and I agonized over this option. The TBT nav is the centerpiece but I think it's the additive effect of the little things that just make this a nicer car to drive. I also don't think it's necessarily overpriced in comparison to other brands. Also I have 19" wheels and I just think they look better than the 21's. I know there are strong opinions on this, but to me the 21's sometimes seem a little gaudy.

Thanks josh for the good insight. I have not bought a Model S -- yet. But I had already ruled out performance package and the air suspension and the 21" wheels. Having done fancy low-profile wheels and tires on previous luxury cars, been there done that, no thanks, not for the Tesla. 19" would be fine. I probably will order the premium sound, and you're making a good case for pushing me over the fence on paint guard. Still contemplating twin chargers as I would use this car for occasional trips from San Diego to Silicon Valley and if the twins help with supercharging, etc. Then again, maybe by the time I buy, there will be some kind of Battery Swap-O-Matic[TM] service available, rendering the twin charger purchase moot....

Not sure on the paint armor. I would want the car to look it's best, but at the same time I'm of a philosophy that cars are meant to be driven in the real world, and in the real world dings and paint chips happen.
Sorry but I don't understand this statement. You either want the car to look it's best, or you don't.
If you do care, go with Xpel Ultimate and forget about the factory armor.