Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking Glove Box?!? Valet Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think its possible, by software, to LOCK the glovebox by security code? I say this cause I hate valeting my MS knowing that in my glovebox is all my "Stuff". While they are at it why not also make a "Valet Mode". You know, limit speed, no web browsing, changing settings, erasing presets, all the stuff any valet would love to fool with. Just a thought for us folks that valet a lot, especially in NYC.

Do you think its possible, by software, to LOCK the glovebox by security code? I say this cause I hate valeting my MS knowing that in my glovebox is all my "Stuff". While they are at it why not also make a "Valet Mode". You know, limit speed, no web browsing, changing settings, erasing presets, all the stuff any valet would love to fool with. Just a thought for us folks that valet a lot, especially in NYC.

Depends. If it's hard wired to the switch then no. The trunk and frunk should be a no brainer, but the glove box could be more difficult.

Depends. If it's hard wired to the switch then no. The trunk and frunk should be a no brainer, but the glove box could be more difficult.

You can't really lock the trunk or frunk. The trunk because it's not really a trunk, but rather it is accessible by just reaching over the back seat. The frunk because their is a lever to open it, located below the glove box.

Agree that the glove box may or may not be lockable, depending on how it's wired.

You can't really lock the trunk or frunk. The trunk because it's not really a trunk, but rather it is accessible by just reaching over the back seat. The frunk because their is a lever to open it, located below the glove box.

Agree that the glove box may or may not be lockable, depending on how it's wired.
Really? I'll have to go look! When it warms up!

All good ideas. Let's add a front camera and remote access to camera views. Being able to remotely limit speed would do well for recovery of a Model S if ever stolen.

Locking the glovebox should be possible. I've always suspected that when the key is not in/near the car, and the car is "locked", then the glovebox button should be disabled, but I've never actually tested this out. However, back when I first received the car, one of my coworkers was rapidly pressing the glove box release button over and over and over again. After a few seconds, the release actuator eventually stopped responding, so it is definitely under some type of control and not just a dumb hard-wired switch.

I'd like it lockable. To quote Jay-Z from 99 problems:

"[Officer]: do mind if I look around the car a little bit?
[Jay]: Well, the glove compartment's locked, so is the trunk in the back. I know my rights so you 'gon need a warrant for that."