Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12-volt battery: Proactive fix (Replacement)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheAustin

Model X 90D (Former Model S P85)
Sep 12, 2011
The Hamptons
Tesla called me a couple of days ago and said that they had a proactive fix for my 12-volt battery. A tech came out and is working on my car right now...He said that some of the earlier VINs had been having trouble with the 12-volt batteries (sometimes something as simple as a software push would drain the 12-volt battery, rendering the car useless)...So, they are proactively replacing that battery with a different version, one that isn't prone to getting drained so easily.

For reference, I have a P85, my VIN# ends in 1929, and I took delivery on December 30th...I'm not sure exactly what range constitutes "some of the earlier VINs" as the tech said, but if you're anywhere close to mine, you may have a proactive fix/replacement in the works.

FYI.

Tesla called me a couple of days ago and said that they had a proactive fix for my 12-volt battery ... For reference, I have a P85, my VIN# ends in 1929, and I took delivery on December 30th...I'm not sure exactly what range constitutes "some of the earlier VINs" as the tech said, but if you're anywhere close to mine, you may have a proactive fix/replacement in the works.

Interesting. I've heard something similar but I haven't seen any warnings, and I havent been contacted by Tesla yet. Despite taking delivery on the same day as you my VIN is more than 900 higher, so perhaps it really is a relatively small number of early vehicles that are affected.

Tesla called me a couple of days ago and said that they had a proactive fix for my 12-volt battery. A tech came out and is working on my car right now...He said that some of the earlier VINs had been having trouble with the 12-volt batteries (sometimes something as simple as a software push would drain the 12-volt battery, rendering the car useless)...So, they are proactively replacing that battery with a different version, one that isn't prone to getting drained so easily.

For reference, I have a P85, my VIN# ends in 1929, and I took delivery on December 30th...I'm not sure exactly what range constitutes "some of the earlier VINs" as the tech said, but if you're anywhere close to mine, you may have a proactive fix/replacement in the works.

FYI.

Is the battery red (outside cover)? I believe that's the new one.

In the earnings call yesterday, Elon mentioned they had contracted with an American company for the 12v, which them outsourced to a Chinese company, which in turn outsourced to a Vietnamese company that made really cheap ones. Was interesting to find out the reason that the initial 12v ended up so crappy.

In the earnings call yesterday, Elon mentioned they had contracted with an American company for the 12v, which them outsourced to a Chinese company, which in turn outsourced to a Vietnamese company that made really cheap ones. Was interesting to find out the reason that the initial 12v ended up so crappy.

Several other reports of such proactive service calls have been posted. The questions are: does this really fix the issue? Is it only one type of issue we've been seeing? Why the people who have had multiple failures? Glad they are being proactive in these cases, but I'm not sure if anyone has the confidence that this wont continue to be a problem for others in the future at the same rate we've seen thus far. That quite a few people including myself feel the need to buy a voltmeter to check regularly shows how common this issue has become and how sever the consequences when it does.

12v battery issue explanation, sort of...

Last edited:
How can I even see the color of the 12v battery?????? I don't even know where it is. ;-)

I think you take the right Frunk cover (left if you are standing in front of the car looking at the Frunk) off but not sure. Don't try and take anything apart just to look at the battery. Just curious if you saw it installed or not. Glad to hear they are working on addressing this issue at least.

I think you take the right Frunk cover (left if you are standing in front of the car looking at the Frunk) off but not sure. Don't try and take anything apart just to look at the battery. Just curious if you saw it installed or not. Glad to hear they are working on addressing this issue at least.

I have never seen the 12V installed on any MS. I was curious where the 12V is in the MS. I have no idea. I did not know it had a 12V until I read the postings on TMC. Finally, I know nothing about working on cars, so I am the last person to ever take anything apart, as I am not mechanically inclined.