Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" tire impact bubble, tire rotation questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to bring my 7700 mile Model S to the local America's Tire for a tire rotation rather than drive 50+ miles each way to the Fremont service center. America's Tire offers free rotations, but for $21 each, they would provide road hazard coverage (for my original tires from Tesla) and include free rebalance with the rotations, so I decided to get this cheap peace of mind. Boy, was I glad that I did! 10 minutes after my purchase, they jacked up my Model S and found an impact bubble on the outer sidewall of the rear driver-side tire. They said it was likely from hitting a pothole and could eventually lead to a blowout. When the weight of the car is on the tire, it couldn't really be felt, but once it was jacked up, I could feel it pretty prominently.

The $148 tire is now covered by the $21 road hazard warranty I purchased from America's Tire 10 minutes prior! :biggrin: I'll be going back for installation and to complete the tire rotation tomorrow when the tire is delivered.

The adviser at America's Tire said I didn't have much wear on the OEM Goodyear RS-A2 tires, so changing just one tire would be OK rather than changing a set of rear tires. Now with one new tire and 3 with 7700 miles, I'm wondering what would be the best way to mount those in the tire rotation. I'm thinking that it would be best to put the new one in the rear along with one of the fronts rotated to the rear. Any thoughts?

I decided to bring my 7700 mile Model S to the local America's Tire for a tire rotation rather than drive 50+ miles each way to the Fremont service center. America's Tire offers free rotations, but for $21 each, they would provide road hazard coverage (for my original tires from Tesla) and include free rebalance with the rotations, so I decided to get this cheap peace of mind. Boy, was I glad that I did! 10 minutes after my purchase, they jacked up my Model S and found an impact bubble on the outer sidewall of the rear driver-side tire. They said it was likely from hitting a pothole and could eventually lead to a blowout. When the weight of the car is on the tire, it couldn't really be felt, but once it was jacked up, I could feel it pretty prominently.

The $148 tire is now covered by the $21 road hazard warranty I purchased from America's Tire 10 minutes prior! :biggrin: I'll be going back for installation and to complete the tire rotation tomorrow when the tire is delivered.

The adviser at America's Tire said I didn't have much wear on the OEM Goodyear RS-A2 tires, so changing just one tire would be OK rather than changing a set of rear tires. Now with one new tire and 3 with 7700 miles, I'm wondering what would be the best way to mount those in the tire rotation. I'm thinking that it would be best to put the new one in the rear along with one of the fronts rotated to the rear. Any thoughts?

I recently had the same thing done. 19" wheel with impact bubble from a pavement dropoff. It was also the rear. I put the new one on the rear and left the others in place. Only 5k miles on my car at the time. Service center recommended that configuration also.

I am going to probably go with the '2 at a time' rotation strategy I used with my last car. Wear the rears, fronts to back, new fronts. I did that with my GTI but in reverse. You go to the tire shop more often, but you don't get that big ~$800+ bill at a single time.

Just to follow up, I got the new tire installed on the rear left a few days ago. The front left was rotated to the rear right, the front right to the front left, and the rear right to the front right. All were rebalanced. Even with 7700 miles on the other tires, the ride is very smooth and comfortable. I've noticed no change since before the replacement and rotations. I'm hoping with rotation at the 12,500 inspection and every 6-7K after that, I'll get 40K or more from these tires.