Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RDU Airport Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what's available at RDU? I've come up with nothing on a search and wondering if anyone had experience with any of the private parking companies there. I'm also considering asking if I can leave the car at the Tesla Service Center as it looks to be close by.

The only private parking company I've used at RDU is Fast Park and Relax and only with an ICE. They have covered parking but no visible outlets of any type. When is your trip? I'm in Raleigh, so maybe I can sing through the parking lots and see if there are any readily available outlets. The Tesla service center is about 3-4 miles from the terminal.

June 2nd. I appreciate the help. I'm coming from 2 hours away and will be gone the whole week, so the vampire drain would mean sitting somewhere for a few hours before driving back home. I'm going to call around later this week before hitting up the service center. I'm sure they would not be excited about getting into the airport parking business.

If all else fails, ask about an 110V outlet.

The vampire drain is only about 10-20 miles a day depending on temperature. Maybe less if the nighttime temps are good.

A 110V outlet is something like 3 miles per hour. Plugged in 24 hours, that's enough to make up for the drain.

June 2nd. I appreciate the help. I'm coming from 2 hours away and will be gone the whole week, so the vampire drain would mean sitting somewhere for a few hours before driving back home. I'm going to call around later this week before hitting up the service center. I'm sure they would not be excited about getting into the airport parking business.

So I drove to the airport today and looked around. Their website didn't mention any charging spots, but websites can be behind. There are no chargers in the daily rate deck or exposed 110 outlets that I could find. There is power running everywhere with exposed conduit all around so there is potential that there is a 110 outlet around there somewhere. FastPark and Relax is starting an EV plan but hasn't installed any in Raleigh. Turns out that FastPark has purchased pre-flight so there aren't any there. I'm thinking hard about a nearby place you could leave the car for a week. There are some level 2 chargers that are chargepoint units in the offices near my office in the Brier Creek shopping center. They are about 2 miles from the terminal. I see Nissans plugged in all the time and have never seen a permit on the cars but not sure what protocol is since you do have to pay to charge at these units.

Thanks for checking AJ! I had hoped for a 110 somewhere. If the Service center doesn't work out, I may go to Plan B which is visit my Mom who lives in Wilson the day before, range charge on her dryer outlet, and hopefully leaving me only needing a 1-2 hour cushion charge in Durham before heading home.

I decided to go back and look at the deck again before work today. Turns out there are a few 110-120 outlets scattered throughout the 2nd and higer floors. I didn't drive up there yesterday. They are identifiable by the conduit that goes into a junction box high on the columns and then runs down to about 3 feet off the ground. They are all covered with a grey or black flip cover. Problem solved.

Just to follow up. Parked on the 3rd floor of the daily garage at RDU and as noted, several 110 outlets were seen. I picked a spot on a corner. The outlets have covers and the ground on mine was on top so it made it a little awkward getting the plug in because of the flip up cover. Worked fine though and the car was charged up and ready when we got back! Special thanks to AJRdu for scouting this out.

Edit: Just a thought- if the opening on the cover of the outlet had been limited by another 1/4 inch I wouldn't have been able to fit. To be safe, better have a 15A extension cord. Would probably work better anyway as you could tuck the UMC brick under the car, rather than have it dangling in the air like I did.

Just to follow up. Parked on the 3rd floor of the daily garage at RDU and as noted, several 110 outlets were seen. I picked a spot on a corner. The outlets have covers and the ground on mine was on top so it made it a little awkward getting the plug in because of the flip up cover. Worked fine though and the car was charged up and ready when we got back! Special thanks to AJRdu for scouting this out.

Edit: Just a thought- if the opening on the cover of the outlet had been limited by another 1/4 inch I wouldn't have been able to fit. To be safe, better have a 15A extension cord. Would probably work better anyway as you could tuck the UMC brick under the car, rather than have it dangling in the air like I did.

I'm glad that it all worked out. I thought about you just the other day and wondered if you'd found a spot. I took delivery of my car yesterday and have been loving every minute.

Deep thread dredge. I've used the 120v outlets on a couple of occasions without any kind of issues. I'm heading down today for another trip and with the Burlington Supercharger the airport charging isn't so critical for me anymore. I thought I would call to actually confirm that it's OK to use the outlets and I was given an unhesitant "no problem".

Also, the Raleigh service center is only a few miles from the airport. They have an HPWC outside in the rear of the building. It's powered 24/7, but sometimes they may be charging a car for delivery overnight, so if you're going off-hours you might want to call during business hours & ask them if they can keep it open for you.