Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging rate drop question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

qwk

P130DL
Dec 19, 2008
For the past couple of days the temps here have gotten into the mid-high 70's F, and while charging outside in the sun, my charge rate drops from 40A to 31-32A on it's own(single charger). You can manually drop the ampreage down using the touchscreen, but not up. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it due to high cabin temps(charger is under back seat)?

qwk,

My first guess is that the max current is being lowered by the UMC (I take it that is what you are charging with?). Any chance that it's getting hot (like sitting in the sun) and lowering the max current?

Peter

qwk,

My first guess is that the max current is being lowered by the UMC (I take it that is what you are charging with?). Any chance that it's getting hot (like sitting in the sun) and lowering the max current?

Peter
I guess it's possible. I didn't think the UMC had any thermal sensors in it, after all, some of the early UMC's had problems with getting hot, and melting.