Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger Announcement-Normal Illinois

Great news, this right in the center of Illinois. About half-way between Chicago and St Louis."Telsa Motors to install chargers in Normal parking deckNORMAL — Owners of Tesla electric vehicles soon will be able to charge them at the Uptown Station parking deck.The Normal City Council on Monday voted 5-2 to allow Tesla Motors to install up to 10 of its “supercharger” stations in the deck. Tesla will cover all costs and also will maintain the stations.The agreement is for five years with two options to extend it for five years."http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/government-and-politics/telsa-motors-to-install-chargers-in-normal-parking-deck/article_da110528-b6ba-11e2-9236-0019bb2963f4.html

Supercharger Announcement-Normal Illinois

Interesting, as the location is off the highways and right downtown (known as uptown) in Normal, by the Amtrak station, Marriott hotel, restaurants, shops and Illinois State University. I guess the alternative locations by the highway didn't offer enough to interest people for an hour - it doesn't take that long to use the restroom and eat at McDonalds - and this will draw diners/shoppers to the area.

Trying to activate the link...

Tesla Motors to install chargers in Normal parking deck

Last edited:
Great news, this right in the center of Illinois. About half-way between Chicago and St Louis."Telsa Motors to install chargers in Normal parking deckNORMAL — Owners of Tesla electric vehicles soon will be able to charge them at the Uptown Station parking deck.The Normal City Council on Monday voted 5-2 to allow Tesla Motors to install up to 10 of its “supercharger” stations in the deck. Tesla will cover all costs and also will maintain the stations.The agreement is for five years with two options to extend it for five years."http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/government-and-politics/telsa-motors-to-install-chargers-in-normal-parking-deck/article_da110528-b6ba-11e2-9236-0019bb2963f4.html
Brilliant catch! Thanks!

This is fantastic news for all owners in the Great Lakes region, and possibly the first confirmed non-coastal SC. The linked article speaks volumes to the difficulties Tesla is undoubtedly encountering as they try to convince local officials to provide space and access to Superchargers, with their proprietary hardware. Hopefully they will start to see evidence that once these are in place, it will bring Teslas from many states away through their towns. I can see using this one to charge up en route to Madison, WI...all I need is one in Columbus and Indy to get me there!

Discussion started here, too... and in the Midwest forum...

As usual, we've already seen the first Fisker confusion in the comments, and the first "toys for wealthy people" feedback.

This is great news for many of us. Even for the 60kw crowd, the route between Chicago's North Shore and St. Louis will soon be live.
Also allows us from Chicagoland to go to Champaign (pick up kids) or Peoria (sports, etc) easily.

- - - Updated - - -

While Councilman Chuck Scott said he wasn’t keen offering parking spaces for the Tesla stations, if the owners drive from Chicago and eat in Normal while the vehicle is being charged, “I’m excited to see them in town.”
Perhaps I've missed it (as I'm new around here) but perhaps some sort of electronic guestbook could be useful for these types of locations. You could put what you did while you were charging. ie. eating and contributing to local economy.

Perhaps I've missed it (as I'm new around here) but perhaps some sort of electronic guestbook could be useful for these types of locations. You could put what you did while you were charging. ie. eating and contributing to local economy.

Agree that this something like this is a great idea. At the very least let restaurant and shop owners you patronize there know you are there because the chargers are there. Do it casually like 'Great shop/restaurant you have here! Glad the Tesla Superchargers were installed here too entice me to visit!' Bet that will help put the local word out how they are bringing customers to their businesses! This goes for any SC location.

Long term would be great to be able to track how much extra business is received due to chargers. If there was someway to tag all sales with a Tesla 'flag' of some sort hmmm...

Need to start a new Twitter hash tag and tweet every time we stop somewhere...like 'Just had a great lunch at Joe's in Normal, IL! #TeslaSuperCharged'

Last edited: