Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forum tips and best threads for new members?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

evchels

Aug 26, 2010
The Electric Generation would like to feature a few of the best existing forum resources for EV drivers or those considering becoming one- including of course, TeslaMotorsClub.com.

As some of you know, however, joining some of these forums can seem overwhelming at first- a bit like drinking from a firehose in terms of all the information. What would be your first tips and threads on this forum to read for those just joining- whether they're already Tesla drivers or not?

Thanks,

chelsea

The Electric Generation would like to feature a few of the best existing forum resources for EV drivers or those considering becoming one- including of course, TeslaMotorsClub.com.

As some of you know, however, joining some of these forums can seem overwhelming at first- a bit like drinking from a firehose in terms of all the information. What would be your first tips and threads on this forum to read for those just joining- whether they're already Tesla drivers or not?

Thanks,

chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

Many new EV owners or prospective owners would like to know specifically what's going on in their backyard. It is useful to know that the TMC forums are also organized into sub-forums by geographical area.

Larry

I'd say a good place to start for us is our featured blogs: Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

The first thing for any forum would be to get familiar with the search features. Lurk for a bit before you post. Perhaps your question has already been answered.

I've been lurking on the forums for the last month as I tend to over-analyze decisions, and this is my first post. My model S reservation finalizes today. Many of the threads I found most useful were not currently active, and I sort of stumbled across them. While some searches were obvious ('tall drivers'), other threads I found helpful I wouldn't have even thought about / known what to search for.

I would suggest that the moderaters create a subforum on the first page for 'newbies' that will keep 10 or 12 of the threads that they think are most likely to be helpful to prospective model S purchasers lurking on the TMC site. Some of the topics/threads I found most helpful or reassuring included "What I would put in my model S", discussions on leg/head room & the pano roof, 60 vs 85 kw and range anxiety, 19 vs 21 tires & tire wear issues, standard vs performance models, tech package, no spare tire, sound system upgrade, service/maintenence, and after market window tinting & paint protection. Threads about exterior/interior colors were also interesting, but not as critical since this will be a matter of personal preference. Regional club/contacts was also very helpful.

Just a suggestion from a formerly anxious but excited new owner.

Bill - thanks for posting the link to this thread, which I had missed. Lots of good info brought together. But somewhat different focus than what I was suggesting, which is to pull together those discussions that would be most helpful to someone who is in the process of deciding about/configuring a model S.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread really deserves a punch to the top and some participation.

Here is my vote...

There is a data bus in the Model S called "the CAN bus". Some TMC members have been watching data go back and forth on the CAN bus in the model S.

Here then is one of their newest Threads.... You May want to subscribe to this... not for the technical faint of heart.... ->Reading Battery Voltages and Temperatures via CAN on Model S