Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that plugging my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone into the USB port that it does not seem to charge much, if at all and in fact may be losing charge. Has anyone else experienced issues charging via the USB ports? I'm guessing that the USB ports don't put out all that much current, though it's enough to drive a USB-powered 1.8" hard drive. I'd prefer to not have to use my 2A aux port USB adapter if possible.

And I was told to use a 12V adapter when charging a tablet. And beware, many, if not most, 12V USB adapters are crap that themselves don't put out a proper 2.1 amps that an iPad wants. The 12V port, BTW, turns off when the car is "off" (ie no one in it). It would have been nice if Tesla actually had USB ports that would work with tablets, but at least cars up until about VIN 6000 (my car), the USB ports cannot power a tablet.

After reading reviews on Amazon, I just recently bought an Anker, 18 total watts, 12V USB charger.

My Verizon Blackberry (Bold?) I got from my employer a year ago won't charge from most rental car USB ports or my 1A 12V adapter but does take a charge from the Model S USB ports. iPhone 5 works fine on all of them.

----- updated -----
Not only am I able to charge an iPad from the USB, I successfully used an Apple MagSafe airline adapter to power (don't think it can charge) my MacBook Air. Apple says it's for use in planes only which are 15V but it worked for me in the Model S and didn't in our minivan.

Last edited: