Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ in the real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, we did the first pre delivery inspection of a P85+ vehicle. All I can say is WOW! The suspension and wheel/tire option is off the charts awesome

mike

- - - Updated - - -

Do all of you know what the P85+ is?

mike
dms

Last week, we did the first pre delivery inspection of a P85+ vehicle. All I can say is WOW! The suspension and wheel/tire option is off the charts awesome

mike

- - - Updated - - -

mike
dms
Are you bringing it to TesLive? Some of us Perf owners might want a ride. ;)

mike

- - - Updated - - -

mike
dms

We know what it is. Any chance Tesla is sending some to magazines for reviews? I was told "WOW" re: the current car, and the handling is certainly not "WOW". Hopefully the owner is here and can give some real world feedback.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from the customers that take delivery of these first P+'s.
I'm about to finalize within the next two weeks and desperately need to know how much "WOW" there actually is, and not the least how much OK is it to drive in normal traffic with wife and kids onboard. Can I justify to get the P+ claiming this is my 40 year crisis sportscar AND I can bring the whole family in it as well? So I can't be blamed that this is just to please myself?
Hope to hear back soon. Good luck with your P+'s :biggrin:

Yep. I love the S but I don't consider it a true sports car -- something that would do well on the track and on the road.

But the S is one heck of touring car and a joy to drive. I'd call it sports sedan handling with luxury car comfort. And while it may not have the handling of a sports car, it's got throttle response that's as good or better.

So I'm definitely curious to see how the P+ suspension turned out.

The P85+ definately feels different I think we have prepared maybe 5-10 of them so far. They are all sold units, so not appropriate to allow others to drive. We are getting close to doing upgrades. Once some of you have them done, this will be the true test. I am excited for those who upgrade.
New TesLive suggestion:
Raffle for a P85+ upgrade. :)

Bonnie, if Tesla's not willing to foot the bill maybe a few of us could go in on a drawing. Though I doubt you'd get all 300 to agree to a $50 chip-in.

I would have to agree as well, although the trade off is that it rides more comfortably than the M5 ever did.

I think you may just have nailed my interests here.

I'm interested in bushing compliance to remove the squishy feeling and take better advantage of the torsional regidity of MS' chassis.
I kind of like how Tesla has handled high and low speed valving on the dampers along with the spring rate they have chosen thus I am not particularly interested in those changes.
Lastly, I really do not have a problem with roll so increasing head snatch (or whatever the correct term H. Mees used to describe the result of bigger bars) does not really interest me either.

I like the ride for a daily driver but would like to get all that MS can deliver.

The P85+ definately feels different I think we have prepared maybe 5-10 of them so far. They are all sold units, so not appropriate to allow others to drive. We are getting close to doing upgrades. Once some of you have them done, this will be the true test. I am excited for those who upgrade.

Mike- what is your role at Tesla?

When we receive the P85+, is there a way to visually confirm that the car was correctly built with the different suspension parts (besides looking at the wider tires). Are the bushing or control arms a different color or anything?

Crap. Really disappointed here. Edmunds just tested a P85 without the suspension upgrade. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-tesla-model-s-track-...
It clearly states that they had previously tested a P85+ last year. If you look at last years test, the tires are the wider Michelins. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-tesla-model-s-track-...
So it looks like the P85+ does the slalom in a pathetic 66.8mph, and the P85 does an even worse 63.6mph. Both are worse than several SUVs on the market.
Hoping reviews are really good by regular drivers or I may have to cancel my order and keep my 911....

Well, I replied earlier with links to two different Edmunds track tests, but it hasn't posted. They tested a P85 recently, and it did the slalom in a pretty sad 63.6mph. They said that they tested it last time with upgraded suspension and wider Michelin tires (they didn't call it P85+ but it appears that it was a pre-production version) and it did only slightly better at 66.8mph (still slower than Panamera, Cayeene, Cadillac ATS, Audi A6, BMW x6M SUV, M3, M5, etc.). I think those of use hoping for the "supercar handling" they promise in the description will be very disappointed....

Well, I replied earlier with links to two different Edmunds track tests, but it hasn't posted. They tested a P85 recently, and it did the slalom in a pretty sad 63.6mph. They said that they tested it last time with upgraded suspension and wider Michelin tires (they didn't call it P85+ but it appears that it was a pre-production version) and it did only slightly better at 66.8mph (still slower than Panamera, Cayeene, Cadillac ATS, Audi A6, BMW x6M SUV, M3, M5, etc.). I think those of use hoping for the "supercar handling" they promise in the description will be very disappointed....

Yeah, and how could it be?

I love to take my Mercedes to the track, but it's two tons of Teutonic steel and there's only so much you can do with 500 HP to counter all that weight

The Tesla, being even heavier has an even greater challenge that can really only be countered by its drop dead performance on the straights.

Despite all that, I think I'd be happy with the P85 - thinking of it in the tradition of a grand touring automobile.

Considering how the car handles compared to any of our other cars, that doesn't surprise me. Tesla has always been fairly loose (or perhaps overzealous) in their descriptions, so that doesn't surprise me (and its why I asked for independent "wow" verification).

Maybe they got it better on the final p85+ though.