Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's always a challenge to listen to a "This American Life" episode on TuneIn. I believe the problem lies when it buffers for too long, it will start over, or go on to the next episode, which is frustrating when you're 40 minutes into an hour episode, and there is no way to fast forward back to where you where. I usually try to download an episode or 2 to my phone, but I don't always remember, and the TAL app which lets you stream episodes has it's own issues.

Has anyone here been able to successfully listen to an entire program on Tune-In radio? I tried listening to some of the podcasts and TED talks and after about 15 minutes they just restart from the beginning. Anyone else experiencing this or actually finish a program from start to finish?

Yes, I thought TuneIn was going to free me from downloading podcasts to my iPhone and listening from there. I haven't noticed the spontaneous re-starts, but have noticed if I pause or stop for any reason, it re-starts the podcast from the beginning. Not cool if you're 2/3 through an hour show!

Yes. Very frustrating when it restarts, especially when you're 20 minutes into a podcast. There are a couple cell "dead zones" on my commute where it drops. I usually try to get a podcast going well before I hit a certain dead zone so that I can get nearly through the whole sho. I hope Tesla has this on their fix list. It would be nice if a show would just pause when a lost signal occurs, rather than restart. Or allow you to fast forward to the middle of the show. Otherwise, you have to listen to it again to get to the spot where it last left off.

I use TuneIn every morning as I listen to BBC Radio 4 on my way to work. Streaming this radio station works almost flawlessly.
However, I listen to Absolute Radio in the afternoon on my way home, and many times I get an audio glitch every 30 seconds (like the buffer has run out). It maybe that it's happening with the Radio 4 broadcast, yet, isn't noticeable on a non music channel.

I haven't tried podcasts, mainly because I heard you can't continue from where you left off, so I have my IPhone delivering Car Talk

I use TuneIn every morning as I listen to BBC Radio 4 on my way to work. Streaming this radio station works almost flawlessly.
However, I listen to Absolute Radio in the afternoon on my way home, and many times I get an audio glitch every 30 seconds (like the buffer has run out). It maybe that it's happening with the Radio 4 broadcast, yet, isn't noticeable on a non music channel.

I haven't tried podcasts, mainly because I heard you can't continue from where you left off, so I have my IPhone delivering Car Talk

Agreed, regular streaming works well. I tend to flick between BBC Radio 1 & 2, but they both suck when I'm driving home since it's midnight in the UK, so I prefer to listen to stuff that aired earlier...that's where TuneIn is fairly hopeless.

I experienced the same thing - about 25-35 minutes into the podcast, it just quits and jumps to the next podcast. I called tesla and the guy acknowledged the problem and said it was a firmware issue. I asked him if he would write up a request to fix it and he said he would. I didn't get the sense that this was much of a priority for him. Too bad, I really would prefer to listen to podcasts through the tesla player rather than my iphone.

I use TuneIn a lot (mostly to listen to KUSC classical and Classic FM from the UK), and I've learned a trick which seems to help it a bit. Once it starts streaming steadily, and you have a strong 3G signal, hit pause for about five seconds. This seems to give it more buffering to work with, and causes it to no longer skip in areas of slightly weak signal.

I use TuneIn very frequently, almost daily. Typically for live broadcasts.
It works very well for me, and the pause/buffer idea from donv works pretty well, though a live stream seems to recover usually without issue. A better podcast application would be nice. I also have an IOS device for that though.

Since DAB has poor reception and keeps loosing the channels im using TuneIn and i like the service. Has all my radio stations in good quality. But there is something annoying with it. As soon as i get into areas with poor 3G, and only for like a few hundred meters it pauses. Then comes back for 2 seconds and pauses again. It semes it buffers the broadcast because im not missing anything of what i was listening too over a short distance witout 3G. But if i loose my connection for lets say 20 seconds it will start fresh and suddenly skip like 2 mins ahead in the broadcast. But i have noticed one thing.. If i start a Tunein channel. Then take a phone call. I will not have any problems on my usual "loose tunein" spots along my route. Semes the buffer is bigger if you take a call.

Wish they could increase the buffersize. I keep jumping in my seat when the sound comes back at volume 10.

Yes. Very frustrating when it restarts, especially when you're 20 minutes into a podcast. There are a couple cell "dead zones" on my commute where it drops. I usually try to get a podcast going well before I hit a certain dead zone so that I can get nearly through the whole sho. I hope Tesla has this on their fix list. It would be nice if a show would just pause when a lost signal occurs, rather than restart. Or allow you to fast forward to the middle of the show. Otherwise, you have to listen to it again to get to the spot where it last left off.
+1 this is exactly what it is. If you lose connectivity it restarts the podcast