Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam video bucket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Inspired by Dr Taras, I'm having some fun with the BlackVue dashcam.

Here's the first one:

Failed attempt at capturing the acceleration whine:

Here's what the viewer application looks like with the GPS and mapping working:
BlackVue_405S_To_520E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
A little exploration in doing a speedometer overlay (in the bottom right). It looks about the right size when you view 1080p but it's a bit small @ other resolutions:

Last edited by a moderator:
@brianman
I'm in Bellevue. Who installed the BlackVue, and how much did it cost installed?
Benchmark Motoring. Recommended by Metropolitan Detail. They charge $175 an hour so it was a bit spendy ($2xx, I don't remember the exact #). Probably the next person through will get it faster because they learned on my car.

Note that I got the cam from Amazon.com so they weren't involved in the purchase of the camera itself.

Can we assume that you would recommend both the product and the installer?
I've had the camera since 2013/05/03 (almost two weeks). The professional installation was done on Monday (2013/05/13).

Product
  • The features are great and it's been fairly reliable so far.
  • The (Windows) application (, I haven't tried the Mac flavor) works reliably (screenshot in post 1) and is fun.
  • I did have some drama as the camera fell from the windshield (mostly user error, my temporary install was not as firm as it should have been) and the GPS stopped working. Looking over the forums, apparently a number of folks are having issues with the GPS being unreliable. Some have narrowed it down to either the cable connection is weak inside the housing and/or the GPS overheats (perhaps one or both, varying by owner). My GPS is working again...for now. Hopefully it will stay.
  • The wifi signal from the camera is fairly solid but it's finicky: only a few feet of range, only 1 device (laptop/tablet/phone) can reliably connect at once, attempting to ftp multiple files in parallel messes up the connection, etc.
  • I haven't been able to get the live video feed working on any of my (Windows Phone, Windows RT, Windows 8 laptop) devices working which is annoying but not a tragedy. It's easy enough to download the most recent minute of recording to evaluate camera angle/position when adjusting.

Installation
  • I don't have a feel for the current market pricing, so I can't really speak to that.
  • As far as the quality of the job, I'm pleased so on that front I'd recommend them for sure.

Community
  • The folks over at dashcamtalk (http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/viewforum.php?f=6) have been helpful.
  • The custom firmware is great for removing the camera model info watermark in the bottom right corner and for increasing the recording quality/bitrate. (The date/time/speed info in the left is optional with both the official and custom firmware.)

Last edited:
  • The wifi signal from the camera is fairly solid but it's finicky: only a few feet of range, only 1 device (laptop/tablet/phone) can reliably connect at once, attempting to ftp multiple files in parallel messes up the connection, etc.
  • I haven't been able to get the live video feed working on any of my (Windows Phone, Windows RT, Windows 8 laptop) devices working which is annoying but not a tragedy. It's easy enough to download the most recent minute of recording to evaluate camera angle/position when adjusting.

• The custom firmware is great for removing the camera model info watermark in the bottom right corner and for increasing the recording quality/bitrate. (The date/time/speed info in the left is optional with both the official and custom firmware.)
  1. The Wifi on my phone always picks up my DashCam, but I don't always want it to because then it cannibalizes the MobileData so I can't use it. I have to go in and turn off the Wifi to get my MobileData back. I have a GS3. Any idea of how to pick and choose when I want it to connect?
  2. The live feed does work on my GS3; just so you know that it does work on a different platform.
  3. I still have to get back to you about your offer to skool me on that; thank you Obi-Wan Kenobi! :wink:

1. Windows is pretty consistent here. My laptop, surface, and phone all provide a checkbox to allow/prevent automatic reconnection. My phone never connects to the DashCam. Surface does only manually. Laptop does whenever the car is in range.
2. Yah, I presumed so. :( One of these days I may try to write a streaming MP4 player (or player adapter for Windows Media Player) so that my Surface (or Windows laptop) can play the live stream.
3. Heh. No worries. Life has other priorities. :)

Brian, I just picked up my BlackVue and have it powered via the DC cig for now. It would be nice to have it powered 'permanently' though. I've read that others have installed via some extra 12V in the headliner near the mic. Is that how they installed it for you?

I would love to know if the new BlackVue (DR500GW-HD)does well in the heat (90 F and above). The 500 has vent holes. Anyone use it on a nice, hot, sunny day????
On the rare warm days in Seattle (which happen to be the ones that I open the roof), I've had the camera overhead and start say "check SD card". After closing the roof and leaving the camera off for an hour or so it starts behaving normally. YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to know if the new BlackVue (DR500GW-HD)does well in the heat (90 F and above). The 500 has vent holes. Anyone use it on a nice, hot, sunny day????
The installers has apparently done (my recollection on this word:) "several" Model S for radar detectors and such that are fine on accessory outlets -- i.e. that power off when the car is "off". It took them some time to find an always on place to connect but, IIRC, it was towards the top of the A pillar on the driver's side.