Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Video Game Appearances?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as to how the game captures the sound and feel of driving an EV.

Here's how they capture the sound (though I don't suppose that's what you're asking):
tesla-roadster-video-game-photo01.jpg

It's interesting that video game folks have used Roadsters to capture road noise without the interference of an engine. Video Game Developers Want Authentic Electric Sports Car Sound, Record Tesla Roadster in Action : TreeHugger

I cover video games for a living (I'm an executive editor for IGN.com) so I think I can help out in this thread.

The three major racing game franchises that include real cars are Forza Motorsport (Xbox), Gran Turismo (PlayStation), and Need for Speed (multiplatform). All three of these series have featured the Roadster, but as of yet none of them (nor any other driving game) has included a Model S. However, I expect Forza Motorsport 5 to be a launch title alongside the as-yet-unnamed next-generation Xbox console that's due out this holiday, and Gran Turismo 6 is, as Majerus has already noted, expected for PlayStation 3 this fall as well. Either or both have a pretty good chance of including the Model S -- if not out of the box, then as a part of a downloadable car pack post-release. Another new Need for Speed will also release this fall (it's an annual series), but I would put the chances of Model S appearing in that game at markedly less than Forza or GT.

It's definitely going to happen sooner or later. The accolades and word-of-mouth on Model S are simply too much for the video game developers to ignore.

I'll let you all know once I hear confirmation that one or more of the games will include the S.

Hope that helps!

I have Gran Turismo 6 pre-ordered for the PS3. It doesn't release until December 6, though, so I picked up Asphalt 8 for 99 cents after getting a heads-up that it has a Model S from this thread: Model S featured in Asphalt 8 game. While it is neat to see a Model S in a video game, Asphalt 8 does not purport to be a simulator. For example, I just did a mid-air barrel roll in my Model S and have spent in-game coins to upgrade the "engine" and "nitro". But of all the artistic liberties, the one that bothered me the most is the absence of realistic color options. I've had to settle for driving a bright blue Model S with silver wheels instead of my dark blue with grey wheels.