Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hires a New VP of Vehicle Engineering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice move, Aston Martin one of the best looking cars out there.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,049
Last edited:
This looks to fill the void when Peter Rawlinson left the company in early 2012.

heh. I remember all the hubbub and doom and gloom surrounding that. Looks like Tesla did just fine.

So, what is the platform manager responsible for? Car handling and such, or do we mean platform as in the underpinnings that are used across multiple products on the same platform?

heh. I remember all the hubbub and doom and gloom surrounding that. Looks like Tesla did just fine.

So, what is the platform manager responsible for? Car handling and such, or do we mean platform as in the underpinnings that are used across multiple products on the same platform?

I would think a 'Platform Manager' would mostly try to keep parts and manufacturing practices thes same (or as same as possible) across all vehicles on a platform. Instuting changes on a platform to reduce costs/increase reliability/increase production speed, and make sure all cars on that platform would be similarly affected. Also pushing changes to a platform, where all cars would be changed similarly.

Basically instead of the X getting AWD, a platform manager would attempt to allow AWD to be added to all cars on the platform. Or if that is not wanted from a business perspective all the shuffling under the frunk would be done for all platform cars so you only manufacture one configuration, but only the X having an AWD unit added.

I don't know. But this would be my guess at what someone with this title would be doing.