Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the exact group size/battery size of the 12v Lead Acid battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, my MS is still in production, so still waiting. I was wondering if someone had the exact spec/group size of the 12v aux battery. I plan on ordering a Lithium Drop In replacement for it.

I import products from China, and a couple of my off the beaten path suppliers are testing some drop in replacement Lithium Starting/Deep cycle batteries for Auto, Cycle and Marine use, and would like to switch to one of those, and if it works good, I am going to start importing them.
They charge Much quicker, more energy dense, are not "damaged" like lead acid is by discharges etc...

Thanks All!

Interesting idea. I don't know the answer at all here, but with the brain trust behind JB and crew, you'd think they would have thought of this already.

I suspect there's some underlying performance adv. with the battery in place now. (Old school jump starting, etc.)?

You can do that with the drop in lithium replacements. Only thing I was told, is not to use a pulsing desulfator. So my capacitive battery chargers I build that pulsate at 120hz will not work, or those smart chargers. As for jumping from another battery, perfectly fine, or so I'm told.

This is interesting and I would also be interested to know why they chose to go with the traditional PbA 12 V battery. Perhaps they didn't want to introduce more "first time ever" features than necessary on a car that already has so much new and partly untested technology? A regular 12V battery can be replaced anywhere in the world and is at least a very proven and well developed technology. Also, some of the peripherals/electronics/lights/fluid pumps/locks etc. etc. that draw from the 12V battery are not designed in-house by Tesla and have been developed for use with lead-acid 12V batteries. However, I wouldn't think that for example the rear tailgate motor or the windows washerfluid pump would be able to tell if the power came from a 12V LiIon battery instead? Maybe it's just that if Tesla had trouble with any of these parts the supplier would complain that the problem was because the battery was not a "regular one"?

Last edited:
The Model S has been observed to charge its PbA battery at well over 15 V, perhaps to "condition" the battery. See the 12 V issues thread. I don't think that other cars do this. I would try out the Li starter battery on a conventional car until more is known about compatibility with the Model S unique charging algorithms.

GSP

Yah, I have plenty of vehicles to test on (I own a power sports dealership). Everything from Forklifts, mopeds, cycles, EV Conversions etc... I still need the size of the MS battery. As these batteries arn't cheap (Start at around $400ish) I only want to purchase one to test out.