Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antennas in exterior mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone was wondering what the antennas located in the outside mirrors look like; thanks to an unintended encounter with a barricade I provide the following image -
IMG_0748.JPG

Hopefully this will not be too expensive to remedy :eek:

Yeah, the barricade is just fine :smile:
I'm glad it was only the mirror, and not more serious. That's what happened when my husband drove a Miata for 10 years, and hadn't yet gotten used to how wide the Model S is!

... *if* the driver realizes ... (which obviously wasn't the case here)

Not so obvious. The driver didn't consider exactly the distance and for this reason had the accident. Maybe that the driver at the moment of the accident was also in a hurry. I think that in a difficult situation if the driver had the option to fold the mirrors he could have avoided the accident.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are saying the driver intentionally ran the mirror into the barricade to get a good look at the antennae? :tongue:

This is nice. I laughed a lot for this. :)

But as I said sometimes the driver doesn't has the right perception of measurements and power folding mirrors can be useful.

Last edited:
I can confirm that the antennas for the radio and navigation are not in the mirrors, at least not in my Sig. The antenna amplifiers are located in the trim panels of the rear liftgate on the left (AM/FM) and right sides (XM). The GPS antenna is located in the upper left corner of the rear liftgate glass, which must be removed for access.

The antennas in the mirrors are likely to be the key fob antennas, that would align with my experiences with keyfob behavior as I approach the car.

I had a similar encounter with a barricade last December (in my current car, the S is still in production sequencing). Damage was very different though -- just a smudge on the mirror casing that came off with a very mild abrasive (with no visible damage to the paint). But the mirror glass popped out and shattered -- then was hanging by the heating element wires and banged against the door until I could pull over. Left a series of scratches on the door (that I'm finally getting buffed out this weekend...).

If this accident was anything like what I experienced (I misjudged how close I was to the barricades, and the one I hit was just a tiny bit closer to the traffic lane than the others), motorized folding mirrors would not have helped.

I can confirm that the antennas for the radio and navigation are not in the mirrors, at least not in my Sig. The antenna amplifiers are located in the trim panels of the rear liftgate on the left (AM/FM) and right sides (XM). The GPS antenna is located in the upper left corner of the rear liftgate glass, which must be removed for access.

The antennas in the mirrors are likely to be the key fob antennas, that would align with my experiences with keyfob behavior as I approach the car.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Hmmm, but why two antennae in the mirror?