Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended: Slacker Premium!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenEE

P1919 Reward Excellence!
May 27, 2010
Texas
Ok, got tired of song on demand not working anymore. Then, because of this reduction in functionality, my 12 yr old daughter started saying our Model S wasn't that cool anymore. (GASP!)

Sooooo... I signed up for Slacker Premium. Now any song that can play on demand does. And I can create Play Lists on the Slacker website and play them anytime I like in my S. Also the playlist songs can be replayed/restarted with the back arrow.

I'm very happy with it now!

If you like Slacker in the S, I highly recomment upgrading to Premium. Just goto Settings -> Apps -> Media Apps and LogOut of your bundled account and Login to your new Premium Account!!

I think you'll be glad you did!

Well, once again, you'll be happy with this unless you expect it to have actual full Premium functionality. This WILL restore it to what you had but it will NOT allow things like playing a song twice, playing most albums and most importantly, access to all songs that are available with the same account via the web or smartphone. This is, as confirmed by Tesla, less than a full premium account which is not in fact compatible with the car. It IS more akin to what most had before the current issue which is basically something a bit better than a Plus account but not nearly as cool as a Premium account (which you'll be paying for).

Well, once again, you'll be happy with this unless you expect it to have actual full Premium functionality. This WILL restore it to what you had but it will NOT allow things like playing a song twice, playing most albums and most importantly, access to all songs that are available with the same account via the web or smartphone. This is, as confirmed by Tesla, less than a full premium account which is not in fact compatible with the car. It IS more akin to what most had before the current issue which is basically something a bit better than a Plus account but not nearly as cool as a Premium account (which you'll be paying for).
Huh? So, if you sign up for a premium account ($10 per month) you get all the premium functionality outside of the MS. Then on the MS (I thought) you get everything the MS interface is capable of. That isnt everything, i.e. you cant modify a playlist. But you do have access to all your playlists, and (I thought) you have access to all the same songs you would outside of the MS. And (I thought) you can play songs repeatedly the same as you would be able to outside the MS.

Is that not correct? And I'm assuming you have tried this?

Huh? So, if you sign up for a premium account ($10 per month) you get all the premium functionality outside of the MS. Then on the MS (I thought) you get everything the MS interface is capable of. That isnt everything, i.e. you cant modify a playlist. But you do have access to all your playlists, and (I thought) you have access to all the same songs you would outside of the MS. And (I thought) you can play songs repeatedly the same as you would be able to outside the MS.

Seems correct so far. My daughter and I made playlists on the website and now we have them in our Model S. I'm happy and feel like this is quite an upgrade from the best the bundled account offerred.

Another thing about logging into the website is you get more info on the licensing Slacker has for your favorite songs and bands. So the behavior in the car doesn't seem so random.

Of course adding even more Premium features like (re)Play for non-playlist songs would be great. I'm sure they will....

I did sign up for a month of Premium earlier today. I only got to play with it for a few minutes in the car today. I was able to access playlists and the couple of custom artist stations I created. I dont think I tested going back to repeat a song. I will try tomorrow.

With a Premium account in the MS you are able to play SOME songs directly. However, the library of songs that can be played directly is a subset of the songs that can be played directly with the same account outside the MS. You can not play songs repeatedly. You can not "rewind" to play an earlier song. In fact, try playing any song, then another and then going back to the first song. Once you play a song you seem to be banned from playing it again for what I believe is at least 24 hours but maybe more. Truth is, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what does and doesn't work with a Slacker Premium account in the MS. Seems to change from day to day. But you are absolutely missing some if not most Premium benefit. And if you ask Tesla, they will straight out confirm that Tesla does not support premium functions in the MS. Was not designed to do so and no assurance that will change.

PLEASE, TESLA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spotify-US.jpg

i hate Slacker.

i hate TuneIn.

I'm looking forward to Tesla opening up the app API. At that point we'll hopefully get full featured apps for Pandora, Spotify, Slacker, etc., which will work with our existing accounts and have all of the features we're accustomed to.

I'm looking forward to being able to put 3000 songs on the hard drive that's allegedly a part of the Sound Studio Package. It says on the website: "Storage space for over 3,000 songs". My question is, when? That wouldn't seem to be the most complicated feature to unlock. Then I wouldn't have to deal with Slacker again. It doesn't make much sense to me to pay $120/year for Slacker, especially if I have a hard drive installed in my car and should be able to put whatever songs I want on there.

Why would this ruin your Model S experience? That seems an outlandish statement: you will still have the fastest, coolest, quietest, super fun car in existence. And you'll still have regular radio, XM if you want, Tune In and your own music via usb and smartphone.
I've been using slacker on my desktop and it sucks. This is going to ruin my MS experience for su re.

Slacker is what they call someone who complains instead of finding a solution to his problems. ;-)

:biggrin::tongue::biggrin: Good point! I've had perpetual problems with my Bluetooth and specifically getting my media to play. The Dania service center is hopefully fixing that soon by installing a new MCU (17" screen) for me. As long as I have my playlists and podcasts from my phone I'm a happy camper.

My kids loved the Slacker "pick your song" feature and miss it dearly, and I'm loathe to pay for their "favorite" songs because they change every two weeks. :crying: :rolleyes:

Tesla just called me back and said they were in contact with Slacker and Slacker says they are working on fix to restore the previous on-demand behavior.

Still going to keep my Premium account though. It's working well and I already have a very nice playlist put together.

Ken