Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cup holder cinchers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did they stop putting in cup holders with cinchers?

untitled.JPG

I can post it up later but they look the same except they are all smooth inside without the cinchers. Went to the service center earlier to asks and they didn't notice. They had 14 cars waiting for delivery and none of them had it too!

Well I guess you can add that to the growing list of amenities that are slowly getting stripped out of the Model S as production continues. How do they expect cup or bottle to be held in place when mashing the neck-snapping torque pedal? Can't wait to hear the "I got into an accident because my McBurning hot coffee spilled on me" story. I mean seriously, I hope this was due to parts shortage and that they'll replace it for free soon and this wasn't some sort of "costs-savings" measure taken like the fog lights. What would this change save them, a dollar?

Fortunately, mine has them.

Photo 2013-04-30 08.41.47 PM.jpg
Photo 2013-04-30 08.41.51 PM.jpg

Well I guess you can add that to the growing list of amenities that are slowly getting stripped out of the Model S as production continues. How do they expect cup or bottle to be held in place when mashing the neck-snapping torque pedal? Can't wait to hear the "I got into an accident because my McBurning hot coffee spilled on me" story. I mean seriously, I hope this was due to parts shortage and that they'll replace it for free soon and this wasn't some sort of "costs-savings" measure taken like the fog lights. What would this change save them, a dollar?

Fortunately, mine has them.

Tell me about it I've spilt countless drinks already. Had to be creative and use a coozie. Pretty embarrassing!

I took possession less then a month after you too. Hope it was the case of low supply and will swap them out vs another cost cutting item.

This is very troubling. Have the bean counters taken over at Tesla? What happened to building "the best car" period? I have the cinchers but I can image how narrower cups will rock around - that would be annoying!

After the headliner debacle Elon said every change had to be approved by him. I guess he hasn't spilled a drink on himself yet. These changes are very frustrating. The carbon fiber spoiler has been changed as well, from gloss to matte. It looks much cheaper now.

I don't have my car yet, but this trend is disturbing.

I'm later to the game than some folks, so have only heard about earlier changes and deletions, but I recently posted an open letter to Elon Musk regarding Fog Lights when I found out those had been removed form the cars without notice as well. I've had a largely supportive comments, although a few folks have criticized the complaint about something seemingly small.

Yet while it may seem small, having cup holders that are well-designed an accommodate a variety of beverages is something I EXPECT FROM A $100,000 CAR! And it's clearly been thought about by the designers, because the feature has been REMOVED from the vehicle... in many cases AFTER we have seen them and placed deposits/orders.

The small things add up:

1) Head liner change to cheaper material
2) Floor mats (kudos to Elon for making good on this)
3) The parcel shelf has changed to a less functional design
4) Fog lights removed from the tech package
5) Cup holder functionality reduced
6) Carbon fiber spoiler changed

This isn't a budget-minded economy car. Yes, part of the premium we are paying is for the ground-breaking drive train. But the expectation set BY TESLA is that this car should compete with other luxury cars in it's price class. This is NOT the way to do it.

The small things add up:

1) Head liner change to cheaper material

Tesla fixed this problem. Performance cars will get Alcantara headliners still. Non-Performance vehicles were never affected by this.

2) Floor mats (kudos to Elon for making good on this)

Not sure what this is referencing. If it is the floor mats are crappy, I agree. But other than a tweet? by Elon has Tesla actually given out better floor mats? Or a rear floor mat?

3) The parcel shelf has changed to a less functional design

Did the parcel shelf change? It was pretty non-existant for a long time. It doesn't have a piece of ferrous metal in it to work with the magnets in the rails of the car, but it is pretty much exactly what I expected.

4) Fog lights removed from the tech package

Yes this is a stealth removal, and probably quite irksome to most people with the Tech Package. But Tesla has removed their references to fog lams in their literature.

5) Cup holder functionality reduced

I agree this is a big loss. I do find it a bit ironic that the cupholders with cinchers were basically lambasted as worthless. Tesla removes a small amount of functionality, and the uproar is starting again.

6) Carbon fiber spoiler changed

Well this is purely subjective, as to being good or bad. People tend to like good changes happening randomly. If I had a black car, I would prefer a gloss CF spoiler. I think for all the other colors a matte black is a improvement over a gloss one. This one I bring up why isn't anyone complaining about the first Signatures getting a different windshield than everyone else?

You make changes as you move forward, Tesla is doing that. Their internet ordering strategy makes this much more apparent than your typical dealer model where you sit in your car before you buy it. I think changing a purely aesthetic piece (like the 'spoiler') in a highly visible way is probably not going to go unnoticed.

I do want to remind people that before this removal, which I think was stupid, the cupholders in the car were being stated as 'worst ever', and 'completely worthelss', and other phrases. I know this makes them worse for holding cups, but apparently they weren't very good before, but I think that was mostly placement, and quantity based.

I heard/day a bunch of complaints about the cinchers being too tight and exploding coffee cups
Someone was trying to put a cheap coffee cup in mine ( I use a ceramic German made cup) and they couldn't get it safely into the hole without being able to remove it with out spilling

Last edited: