Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S or X or Wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, I have been chasing Tesla and reading this forum for awhile, since I can't find the answers I am looking for. I decided to post a thread to seek help. I test drove the model S about a month ago, wow, I told myself that my next car must be a Tesla. After few days of cool down I figured many negatives about the model S and think I really should wait for a 2014 S or X. Here are the facts, the model S does not have any storage space, no center console storage, no door panel pockets, no driver/passenger rear pockets, no rear cup holders, no coat hanger, no handles by the top of the door. I got 2 girls and they use a lot of storage space in the back seats. The 2013 Model S is crazy nice, but I just hesitate to swing it, the Model X seems to have some storage compartments from random photos I saw on the web. Do you guys find these things bothering you? The model X falcon wings is just too sexy, makes me want to wait till 2015.

The storage space can be dealt with by the opportunity console and drop-in cup holders described in other threads. Missing out on two year's worth of driving the Model S is far worse than a little lack of storage--especially because a bit of ingenuity can make up for it.

In all honesty, wait. It doesn't sound like the Model S is for you. If interior storage cubbies, coat hangers, and cup holders are the most important things to you, get a Honda Odyssey. Seriously - I have one, and it's extraordinary, especially for towing the family around as well as all the stuff they invariably need. There's absolutely nothing wrong with understanding that these things are important to you, and if they're the MOST important aspects then the Model S is simply not the car you're looking for right now. There are many, many, many, many other options that will take care of your needs and if you absolutely need these things, the Model S just isn't the right fit.

If, however, you're ready to basically ignore all of that and are willing to pony up big $$$ at a chance at driving the future early, then the Model S is for you. I'll personally miss a lot of the storage compartments, but for me personally getting a chance to be 20 years in the future TODAY is absolutely worth it.

Buy the Odyssey for all the storage compartments. It's a fantastic vehicle with great resale value and will last forever. The Model X or the Gen III will be waiting for you when you're ready to make the plunge.

Good luck!

Here's the challenge with waiting... it will cost you. When version 1.5 comes out, or the 2014 model, many of these missing items (may) be added, some may not. Like the incremental improvements to the Roadster, + inflation, the price will be certain to go up. I highly doubt the 2014 will come out with additional features at the same price. I wouldn't be surprised if you see option packages that make for a minimum of a $5k uptick. IMHO.

I held off as long as I felt I safely could, before this issue hit home here. I could be perhaps the longest 2012 res holder hold-out actually... but I'm now in. Now a new kind of wait starts for me. :)

I'm gonna go with highfalutintodd on this one. There are some vehicles that are good at the hauling around kids thing and the S or X aren't specialized for that.

For instance some friends of mine were talking about replacing their current van, and we got to talking about what they'd need to replace it... basically it came down to they wanted the space to haul around 8 people plus luggage.

So figure out what is really important and the rest answers itself.

How about a "poor man's Tesla" in the meantime, the Rav4 EV? $10K of So Cal incentives (Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - $10,000 SoCal / $9300 NorCal Toyota Cash @ 0% by Apr 30,2013) in addition to the dealer discounting, $7500 Federal tax credit and $2500 CVRP makes it more interesting... No DC fast charging though (no CHAdeMO nor Supercharging). :(

If you don't know a So Cal zip code to put in at Toyota Dealerships - New & Used Car Deals & Special Offers | BuyAToyota.com
, try 90024 or 90210 (as in Beverly Hills).

Lots of pics at the threads below, besides the other pics you can find online. Seems to have plenty of rear cupholders.
2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Driving Impression Review !!! | PriusChat
2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Driving Impression (Warning: Bandwidth HEAVY) | PriusChat

I've test driven this vehicle 2x briefly at AltCar Expo last year. It's quite fast and has great range (except of course compared to a 85 kwh Model S). See bottom of Testing Electric Vehicles in the Real World. Too bad it's FWD and not RWD or AWD. :(

Last edited:

Tesla doesn't do model years like other carmakers. They have to put a model year down, so my car is a 2013 because it was built in January 2013. But it's no different from one built in December 2012, whose VIN says it's a 2012 model year. Tesla says they will incrementally improve the Model S, but those changes won't be tied to a standard "model year"--which for other carmakers isn't tied to a calendar year either, but to some weird car-year that I have never figured out, BTW. ;-)

Anyway, maybe they'll add pouches on the back of the front seats in November, or next March, or never. I wouldn't wait in the hopes that they'll add some feature you can't live without. If you can't live without those things, then look at other cars. If you don't need a car now, then sure, "wait"--in other words, don't buy before you need something--but don't hold off, IMHO, if you need a new car and what Tesla's offering right now isn't what you want/doesn't have those "must-have" features.

I bought because I was past due for a new car, didn't care about storage, and thought Tesla and the Model S were amazing! ;-) My "must have" turned into "the Model S."

I really, really, really miss the storage in my Honda Odyssey. But I value the electric torque, the clean energy, the technological pizzazz, the driving dynamics, and a whole lot of other things enough so that I bought the Model S. And the Odyssey just sits now, except for those few random days a year when I absolutely must take six people and a passel o' stuff, or absolutely must drive 600-700 miles in a day. On the other hand, my wife has a BMW that's exactly the size and shape of the Model S, but is different in three ways: (a) it's a lot less fun to drive, (b) it has a lot less technology and flexibility, and (c) it has storage, coat hooks, and other such conveniences. She chose to keep her BMW and move to Tesla later, if and only if they add those kinds of things for her.

I tell you all this to hammer in a single point: it's a personal choice. Never ask what others would do, because we are not you. List all the pros/cons of the two or three cars you'd put on your short list. Prioritize them somehow (high/low, 1-5 stars, whatever). Then pour yourself your favorite libation, get a comfortable chair, and just sit there with your list. Feel how important each thing on that list is to you. Then pick the car you think will make YOU happy and buy it, and to hell with what everyone else thinks.

As a shareholder of Tesla Motors, I would strongly advise you to buy the Model S with the centre opportunity console.

(On the other hand, as a European reservation holder I would prefer it if the US customers could back off a little for a few months, to get TM to refocus more of their capacity toward shipping our cars already.)

As a shareholder of Tesla Motors, I would strongly advise you to buy the Model S with the centre opportunity console.

As a fellow shareholder I agree.

I acutally love that it has such clean lines on the inside and a lack of places to put 'stuff'. I have 2 young kids, but my car is not their toy room. It is my toy room. So accordingly it is spotless(and this with my ICE, So just imagine with the Model S). I have tried to keep cleaning up dirt from cleats and spilled milk/formula/snacks to a minimum.

The more storage places you have, the more places to find the half eaten candy stuck to the bottom.

I was one who has complained about the lack of storage and having lived with my S for 4+ months, I can say my car is cleaner and clutter free than any of my previous cars.

However, IMO there absolutely needs to be some cup holders in the back seat. I mean anyone driving with kids is going to end up with juice or bottles that are going to get spilled due to the lack of cup holders.

We are moving from a Honda Odyssey to a second S. It'll be interesting how that goes. As of now that car is an utter mess due to all the stuff that gets crammed in 2 levels of door pockets (actually 3 if you count the upper handle as a pocket), sliding door pockets, 2 glove compartments, the lazy susan under deck storage, behind the seat storage, etc. So much stuff gets left behind that I honestly have pulled out receipts from Home Depot circa 2009 during a recent cleanup. I pulled out every last bit (to get it ready for sale) and the stuff that was important (extra sweaters, change of clothes for the girls, etc) could have fit in a small duffle in the frunk or under the rear storage lid in the hatch. The rest was hidden junk and a gazillion 4-pack crayons from restaurants.

My kids are getting older and after driving around in our S for family outings, they've grown off the Honda RES system. They are more into music and love the Kids and Teen pop slacker stations.

I am here, trying to respond but was on business travel. In fact, I stopped by Tesla Huston while I was in Taxes and they don't allow any test drive since they can't operate as a dealer. Interesting. I have been thinking this over and over again, but still can't make up my mind if I should swing it. I even took my plug-in prius today to Carmax and got a good offer. I am still curious about Tesla's strategy. Did they purposely not putting any storage in the car, to allow for aftermarket accessories market? Kind of like apple, look at all the aftermarket accessories out there for ipad and iphone. Or Tesla was too busy trying to make the delivery dead-line and forgot to design any storage space? Anyhow, my wife got a Honda Pilot with tons of storage space for road trip. But, if I get the Model S, I want my wife and kids to enjoy it too. Therefore, I am not saying I can't live without storage space, but I feel that some reasonable storage space should be the basic on any cars, especially for a 100k car. In the mean time, I envy all the model S owners out there.