Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMo 'supercharger' station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrComputer

TeslaClubLA President
Jan 29, 2009
Sherman Oaks, CA
I'm in Maui on vacation and stopped by The Plantation for a visit and found these four high powered CHAdeMo chargers in the parking lot. Almost like a Tesla Supercharger station but in Hawaii.

uploadfromtaptalk1367086459708.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1367086481613.jpg

I don't like the gas station look of the handles. Also, I'm unclear on why they're needed or wanted. I thought the original reason for the handles was because, like a pitcher, there's a liquid involved and spillage is undesirable.

I don't like the gas station look of the handles. Also, I'm unclear on why they're needed or wanted. I thought the original reason for the handles was because, like a pitcher, there's a liquid involved and spillage is undesirable.

I could care less what the handles look like, I'd just love to be able to use those suckers! As far as looking like a gas station pump there is nothing wrong with giving people a form that is familiar and comfortable.

In fact, the rather conventional lines of the Model S itself is an attempt to make it feel familiar to a public that has certain expectations of what a car should look like. I applaud them for showing such restraint given that their clean sheet approach meant they could have designed something that looked like absolutely nothing else on the road (which is not always a good thing).

I could care less what the handles look like, I'd just love to be able to use those suckers! As far as looking like a gas station pump there is nothing wrong with giving people a form that is familiar and comfortable.
You bet. And that connector and cable are not a light weight like the J1772.

That is so neat - four of those suckers in a row. We have a bunch of those up here in the NW, but I've never seen more than one at a location.

Bring on the CHAdeMo's .... Charger anywhere, everywhere ...

Yeah, i hope to see the popularity of these very important CHAdeMOs sites explode (unwise word selection) instead of the continuing instals of the almost useless (to me) low-powered J1772s at non-destination locations.

Btw, I would drop $2K on a pass. side taillight CHAdeMO charge port over a very non-elegant/bulky $1K CHAdeMO Tesla adapter.

Indeed, I might argue that this is actually preferable. Certainly we see some blocking of Superchargers as political statements, but I assume a lot of it is that people simply don't know what they are. If they LOOKED like the gas pumps they're familiar with, maybe something would click, causing them to park elsewhere (not all Superchargers have signage).

Maybe that's too optimistic of me, though.

Anyway, 4 CHAdeMO is great. That's a substantial commitment someone made.

THe CHAdeMO connector looks much too large to fit behind the side tail light. I don't understand why they had to make it so big for something that charges much slower than a Tesla Supercharger??

Yeah, i hope to see the popularity of these very important CHAdeMOs sites explode (unwise word selection) instead of the continuing instals of the almost useless (to me) low-powered J1772s at non-destination locations.

Btw, I would drop $2K on a pass. side taillight CHAdeMO charge port over a very non-elegant/bulky $1K CHAdeMO Tesla adapter.

It looks like this system from Hitachi: Multi-type Quick Charger : Infrastructure Systems : Hitachi

So it's 4 pedestals splitting a single 60kW converter. If one one car is charging it gets 50kW, 2 cars would share 30 kW each or do a 45/15 split, etc.

Seem like a nice solution, much better and more flexible than the usual one stall setup.

That makes much more sense. I was wondering what the demand must have been like to put in 4 full chargers simultaneously. Splitting is a nice way to make the spots more elastic with the same infrastructure. Even with potentially slower charging when it fills up, I like it.

So it's 4 pedestals splitting a single 60kW converter. If one one car is charging it gets 50kW, 2 cars would share 30 kW each or do a 45/15 split, etc.

Seem like a nice solution, much better and more flexible than the usual one stall setup.

Yes, very cool! Every QC station should be capable of power splitting like this with at least 2 plugs like Tesla Superchargers. Going to 3-4 may be overkill with only 60 kW available total, but if it's a busy location and you'll be gone over an hour, having multiple plugs (especially if each plug can reach multiple parking spots) is very convenient and really improves usability.

Edit: Looking at the cut sheet - could it be that you can't charge at more than 15 kW on each terminal if 4 are are installed? The translation from Japanese to English isn't good enough to tell for sure if it will actively allocate power to different plugs depending on current demand.

Last edited:
Edit: Looking at the cut sheet - could it be that you can't charge at more than 15 kW on each terminal if 4 are are installed? The translation from Japanese to English isn't good enough to tell for sure if it will actively allocate power to different plugs depending on current demand.

Hmm, you may be right. I was reading the diagrams as usage patterns, but they may be the install patterns (based on the charts in the specifications section).

That would be too bad. Dynamic allocation makes much more sense.

Yes, very cool! Every QC station should be capable of power splitting like this with at least 2 plugs like Tesla Superchargers. Going to 3-4 may be overkill with only 60 kW available total, but if it's a busy location and you'll be gone over an hour, having multiple plugs (especially if each plug can reach multiple parking spots) is very convenient and really improves usability.

Hitachi Web Page said:
Multi-type Quick Charger can be added up to four user terminal.
By time to charge or frequency use, the output value of the user terminal can be set change.
This very poor translation seems to indicate dynamic power splitting. However, I wouldn't bet more than a coffee on it.