Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tent Camping in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here thought about or even tried tent camping in a Model S? I think there can be three great advantages to doing this:

1) You can charge your car overnight while you are camping,
2) If you use one of those SUV tents, you could pipe in the air conditioning into your tent and
3) If you fold all the seats down, it looks like you could even sleep in the car with an air mattress or memory foam mattress.

I was expecting my Model S P85 tomorrow, but the truck bringing it to So. Fla broke down in Louisiana. :-(

Does anyone know if the seats fold back in such a way to put a memory foam mattress in it and if the A/C can be made to run all night long?

I have been thinking about just this idea too. Seems great! I plan to keep a tent and a mattress that could fit in the tent or in the back of the S, to have the option.
And I have a portable complete "camping kitchen" that folds into a kind of trunk. Looks like it will fit perfectly into the "frunk."
All that quiet, no gas or exhaust, tons of room, music at your fingertips. Hmm ... could get me into "car camping" this summer......

Has anyone here thought about or even tried tent camping in a Model S? I think there can be three great advantages to doing this:

1) You can charge your car overnight while you are camping,
2) If you use one of those SUV tents, you could pipe in the air conditioning into your tent and
3) If you fold all the seats down, it looks like you could even sleep in the car with an air mattress or memory foam mattress.

I was expecting my Model S P85 tomorrow, but the truck bringing it to So. Fla broke down in Louisiana. :-(

Does anyone know if the seats fold back in such a way to put a memory foam mattress in it and if the A/C can be made to run all night long?
We took a road trip to Baton Rouge over spring break and our two 6' children both slept very comfortably in the back with the seats down. A full size inflatable mattress fits perfectly between the wheel wells in the back. When you go to a RV park to charge just ask them for a storage charge verses the regular RV hook up fee. It's like $5.00 a day.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
I have camped several times in the back of the S. It does not have a "camping" mode. I setup an external timer to toggle the seat sensor every several min. but the car still went to sleep in about an hour. Next step is to toggle the door open sensor. It is a lot harder to access. I would very much like to have a setting that leaves the car on until told to turn off. That would also help with my local car wash so I don't have to ride the car through. It would be nice to see what kind of SUV camping tents would fit the back of the S.

I have camped several times in the back of the S. It does not have a "camping" mode. I setup an external timer to toggle the seat sensor every several min. but the car still went to sleep in about an hour. Next step is to toggle the door open sensor. It is a lot harder to access. I would very much like to have a setting that leaves the car on until told to turn off. That would also help with my local car wash so I don't have to ride the car through. It would be nice to see what kind of SUV camping tents would fit the back of the S.

You can't just put something heavy on the seat?

I wonder if buckling the driver seat belt keeps it "running"

We took a road trip to Baton Rouge over spring break and our two 6' children both slept very comfortably in the back with the seats down. A full size inflatable mattress fits perfectly between the wheel wells in the back. When you go to a RV park to charge just ask them for a storage charge verses the regular RV hook up fee. It's like $5.00 a day.

Any pics with mattress in model s?

Well, I'm one who has camped all over the world from Africa, through meso-america, to the arctic. If the weather is warm enough to even consider air conditioning, you be much happier to throw your pad on the ground and sleep under the stars. If the weather is cold, you'll be happier and warmer to set up a simple 2 or 3 man tent on the ground such as a Meteor Light tent. I don't understand this fixation on having to sleep within the confines of the car. After spending hours in the car, it is nice to get out onto the earth and under the skies. He's a nice video from a recent camping trip, check out the amazing grey whales at 1:20 :Baja Beaches, Baja Whales and Surfing Baja - YouTube

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
I don't understand this fixation on having to sleep within the confines of the car.

It's not so much a fixation as it is not wanting to purchase a tent and deal with setting it up. Anyway, you're in the back of the car, not the front, so it's a change. As for sleeping outside without a tent, I'm not real keen about being covered in mosquito bites. Also many of the RV parks don't allow tents, and the tent sites never have 50 amp receptacles.

Also many of the RV parks don't allow tents, and the tent sites never have 50 amp receptacles.

That's weird about the U.S. (I'm from South Africa). In South Africa over 90% of tent camp sites will give you an option to have 220V 20A power. Even in Mozambique most tent sites provide power.

Here you either have to settle for an RV site (which sucks privacy wise), or you'll need to do without electricity.

I know a lot of people like making the argument about "oh it's closer to nature", but you don't have to plug in. I also used to make fire on the ground to cook - which was fun once or twice, (and I'll teach my kids how to do that one day), but for most camps I bring a Weber. It's still camp food, but I don't have to go and cook on my knees for 3 hours a day. The super "primitive" stuff is kind'a fun once a year for an overnight camp, but if you go camping frequently and for long stretches (I've done quite a few 14 day camps), it becomes annoying.

Every few years I go camping in Kruger Park (one of the biggest game reserves in Africa), where it is just the most awesome experience imaginable to sit at night in your site listening to the lions, hyaenas, elephants, owls etc. around your site. As close to nature as you can get. Being able to charge your camera (and now car) at the same time does NOT take away from that experience. What WOULD take away from that is to hear noisy generators and gas lamps running around you. (People do at least have the decency to not run a radio or TV at a tent camp site, except for things like the rugby equivalent to the Superbowl - but that you get here as well.)

Took the Model S camping the other weekend for regular old fashioned tent camping. Only an 80 mile drive to get there, so no need to worry about charging or anything over the weekend. Even without trying anything fancy, it's great just to be able to pack a ton of stuff in the car. The tent, sleeping bags, pads and some other stuff all went into the frunk, and I packed firewood in the covered area in the back (where the child seats would go if I had them).

camping.jpg