Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving shoes for autocross / lapping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Not really a Roadster specific question, but I couldn't find an appropriate sub-forum. "Performance" seemed close.

Any recommendations and/or links to recommendations/FAQs about how best to approach the purchase of some shoes for driving events?

Cruising around some other forums there's a mixure of names tossed out but the focus wasn't really on which shoes to pick and why.

A friend really likes the way the laces are done on the...
Spyder SV Black/Tifosi Red
... as well as generally liking the shoe.

I don't see any others that have that style of laces, and Piloti went out of business in 2012 as I understand it.

Thanks for useful information and entertaining replies. :)

Hey Brianman,

not many responses so I'll try to chime in

From someone who does Autox and HPDEs, I think any shoe is fine.

Usually driving shoes have a flat sole and a curved heel. Enough for the heel to sit comfortably on the ground and good feel of the pedals. With that being said, something comfortable is usually fine. In all honesty I don't own racing shoes nor gloves...just a nicer helmet.

If you do get shoes, sometimes you kinda get that "poser" stigma. I would truly get some good shoes if you start doing NASA events or are tracking the car more regularly (they need to be fire resistant).
Just a couple weekend HPDEs you will be fine with whatever.

I f you still want a good shoe then I like Sparco, Alpinstar, momo and Puma. Some people use older wrestling shoes as long as you don't need the fire resistant criteria.

oakley also has some too.

Not really a Roadster specific question, but I couldn't find an appropriate sub-forum. "Performance" seemed close.

Any recommendations and/or links to recommendations/FAQs about how best to approach the purchase of some shoes for driving events?

Spyder SV Black/Tifosi Red

I don't see any others that have that style of laces, and Piloti went out of business in 2012 as I understand it.

Hmm. I like those. Too bad they're gone... I hadn't heard that.

I have a 10 yr old pair of Piloti, and they are a comfortable shoe. The curved heel is great for driving, and fine control.

The pair I have also has a built up sole on the side of the right foot for heel and toe. Not really important for the Tesla.

I've also got a pair of Puma that I like. I generally look for something with a thin sole, and a narrow shape that matches my foot. I like as little as possible between me and the pedals.

If you're not wearing a firesuit, paying for Nomex in a driving suit is pointless.

I also look for a shoe that looks like a normal sneaker. Unless you're driving a Lotus, bright green and yellow shoes with a big #5 gumball on the side scream 'POSER'.

I have a pair of Puma 'driving shoes' that are pretty nice. They aren't NOMEX or anything protective. But they have a LOT of fake carbon fiber on them.

I also prided myself in being able to heel-toe while wearing my Birkenstocks.
th.jpeg

But honestly with the Model S only having 2 pedals, I don't see why any lightweight, secured on shoe, wouldn't work just fine for any level driving.

I took a look at the Puma options at one of the outlet malls. I liked the styling and the thin soles, but judging by their and the website they don't care the wide foot options that I'd need. I'll try to check out the others.