Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Interesting that it has a 400 lb battery but only goes 40 miles compared to a 900 lb Roadster bat goes 200 miles."

That's because the Volt only uses half of its capacity. Also, since the pack is small, it will have to sustain high discharge rates. That means it has to be optimized for power density (which trades off with energy density)

That's because the Volt only uses half of its capacity. Also, since the pack is small, it will have to sustain high discharge rates. That means it has to be optimized for power density (which trades off with energy density)

Well, and also the Roadster does not have to carry around the extra weight of an engine and a back seat. Does anyone know the weight of the Volt? I bet it is more than 2700 lbs.

Oh yeah, I read this figure earlier today. It is interesting since the figure reported previous to this week has been $2 billion. (as opposed to the EV1's $1 billion).

Even so $750 million to make a car still looks like a lot compared with Telsa's $140 million. I wonder if the price they are reporting now as opposed to earlier is because it is true, or because they needed to look better to try and receive the loans?

From the AP wire -

Basel said there is plenty of time to build the factory, install equipment and get it up and running in time to produce engines for the two new cars. The company already makes the 1.4-liter engine at a plant in Austria, she said, giving it another option for engines.

I can understand not wanting to ship the engines from Austria, but you can ship a hell of a lot of engines for $350,000,000. There's probably capacity issues as well. But I really can't understand why GM would build a new engine plant for a vehicle they expect to lose money on when they are bleeding $52,000 a minute.