Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170
Results 1,691 to 1,699 of 1699

Thread: GM Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    A few years ago when I was helping at the Toronto auto show, a Volt that was on display was left on by accident. In the middle of the night it started up to charge the battery. The security staff noticed and were worried the catalytic converter would set the carpet on fire or something. They had to call for instructions on how to turn the car off.
    Two things with this: Why on earth would the car have been left inside a conference center in a state that it could be started up in the first place? Some kid crawling through the car could have put it in gear and wreaked havoc! For this to happen, it would have to had been unlocked with the key inside. I'm going to have to check with our Volt, but I'm pretty sure you can't lock it from the outside when it is still on. Every car I typically see at an auto show (or dealer showroom for that matter) usually has the battery disconnected to prevent unintended consequences from happening indoors.

Secondly, my understanding is that all cars brought into indoor locations like this have to be drained of all fuels and volatiles as part of the fire code. If this is not the case, big auto shows like the one in Toronto are major disasters waiting to happen! I was at a large industry show a couple of years ago in San Diego (not a car show) and they brought in a Fisker Karma to display. I was told by the vendor at the particular booth about all of the things they had to do to the car to get it indoors, including the fuel draining requirement. I would have to assume similar rules exist in Canada.

This sounds like a HUGE oversight and a very big bullet dodged.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Blog Entries
    It was the first night after it was driven in. The show was not open yet. Setting up the show takes multiple days and most of the vehicles are driven inside. I drove my Roadster in.

No fuel draining was done on any of the vehicles. They were all driven back out again at the end of the event.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blogs The Rules of Model S Road Tripping, Cold Weather Driving
    Moderator:
    Canada, Electric Vehicles, Europe, EVents, Media, Off Topic, Roadster, Site Feedback, and Tesla Motors sections. All postings are copyrighted.

That's one thing I love about the Tesla - no more concept of turning the car "on" or "off"
    Once I helped move a colleague's Leaf out of the workplace chargers, but apparently left the car On. No harm done as it was just a few hours but slightly embarrassing.
    Model S 60kWh, Catalina white, white roof, tan, obeche gloss, tech, 19", air suspension, twin chargers, supercharger access, rear jump seats, parcel shelf. VIN 3606

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    No fuel draining was done on any of the vehicles. They were all driven back out again at the end of the event.
    That is quite shocking to me, actually.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

An "empty" tank with nothing but explosive vapors seems like a bad idea.
    Waiting for ≡

Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    I'm going to have to check with our Volt, but I'm pretty sure you can't lock it from the outside when it is still on.
    I've got one and I've done this (left the car running, then got out and locked the door) several times while on roadtrips where I wanted to leave the ventilation on while my dogs were in the back and I was running in to grab coffee or to use the restroom. It's definitely a useful "feature" even if it's probably a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipernicus View Post
    That's one thing I love about the Tesla - no more concept of turning the car "on" or "off"
    Once I helped move a colleague's Leaf out of the workplace chargers, but apparently left the car On. No harm done as it was just a few hours but slightly embarrassing.
    that is a bad thing in my book. i need to know when my car's on and draining energy/can be accidently driven.

dont like it when my car's hiding from me. tsk tsk.
    kaaaa. meeeee. haaaa. meeee. HAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHH!@&^#@^#!&

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    An "empty" tank with nothing but explosive vapors seems like a bad idea.
    That's why I thought they were supposed to be purged before bringing indoors.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

I believe they are supposed to be cleared fully but I have seen some shows where cars are started up under special circumstances

Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170

Thread Information