Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169
Results 1,681 to 1,687 of 1687

Thread: GM Chevy Volt

L1s would work great for short range BEVs like Leaf and Volt, and PHEVs like Energi and PiP.

IMHO Tesla's should NOT be using work place L2 charging at all. The one at my office does most of the charging only at office for free with only L1 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjayakumar View Post
    IMHO Tesla's should NOT be using work place L2 charging at all. The one at my office does most of the charging only at office for free with only L1 at home.
    Why not? This doesn't make sense for me. An L1 isn't enough to recover the mileage I need to get back. Without an L2 I'd need to hunt for a supercharger to make the round trip.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (12/28/14): 62,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

Finally bought a Model S!
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigd20 View Post
    Why not? This doesn't make sense for me. An L1 isn't enough to recover the mileage I need to get back. Without an L2 I'd need to hunt for a supercharger to make the round trip.
    If you actually need the charge, of course plug into a L2 at work. I think what mkayakumar was saying is that for EV owners who have more than enough charge to complete their daily commute without workplace charging, it may be better to simply not plug in, and leave the l2 chargers available for someone who really needs them.
    Model S 60 | Supercharging | Black Paint | Black Leather | Piano Black Trim | Tech Package | Parking Sensors | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Pano Roof | Yacht Floor

Does anyone know what are GM's plans regarding worldwide Volt sales?
    As there will be no Ampera gen 2, will they be selling Volts around Europe instead?

For some strange reason I like the Volt2. If for some other strange reason I cannot get Tesla E, i might look into Volt2.
    8,4s 0-100 time is a bit better than my current diesel, ~50 real world electric km is also kinda good.
    I believe in Tesla as a concept, a brand, and a suite of products. No matter who conceived, started, runs, or maintains, I hope it ultimately prevails and lasts.
    -- TEG

The Automotive press has reported that Opel/Vauxhall Ampera Chevy Volt is being cancelled for 2016 in Europe to be replaced by another plug-in vehicle. In fact Chevrolet is being cancelled. Corvette will be sold as a Chevrolet at select GM(Cadillac?) dealers. GM refuses, per policy, to comment on future product.
    Elon: " My top advice really for anyone who says they’ve got some breakthrough battery technology is please send us a sample cell, okay. Don’t send us PowerPoint, okay, just send us one cell that works with all appropriate caveats, that would be great. That sorts out the nonsense and the claims that aren’t actually true."

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    If you actually need the charge, of course plug into a L2 at work. I think what mkayakumar was saying is that for EV owners who have more than enough charge to complete their daily commute without workplace charging, it may be better to simply not plug in, and leave the l2 chargers available for someone who really needs them.
    FWIW, at my work, we have a # of Model S drivers. We apparently semi-recently were given 4 HPWCs by Tesla (similar to what they do for hotels, apparently), which our work installed. I don't know the details, but I'd guess we paid for the installation and only received the hardware for free. It helps take the pressure off the L2 stations.

If anyone cares, mkjayakumar and I have been in disagreement about workplace charging on MNL, at least with the situation at MY workplace and our local electric utility (aka Pacific Gouge & Extort) vs. his views. Discussion begins at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Practical use of a quick charger. Our electricity in PG&E-land is pricey, nowhere near as cheap as TX. More details at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Practical use of a quick charger and My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Practical use of a quick charger.

We have PLENTY of PHEVs (Volts, both Ford Energis, PiPs, etc.) who also use our L2 stations. They technically don't "need" to charge, but do. And, I (as a BEV driver) and everyone else is fine with it.

I don't know the details of everyone's commutes, but I'm 90% certain that at least 75%, if not 100% of the Model S drivers at my work don't "need" to charge at work due to their commute length. One of them only lives 7 miles from work (closer than me, ~12 miles/each way). He's definitely used the L2 stations we have (before we got the HPWCs). Another Model S driver also has a Leaf that he sometimes commutes with. Don't know his commute length.
    Last edited by cwerdna; 2015-01-21 at 03:17 AM.

2014 P85D, X seq 2,318 andrewket's Avatar
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashomon View Post
    Charge rate on the Volt matters much, much less than for pure electrics. Chevrolet engineers report that many of their customers are charging on 110-volt household current, probably because they're using it as a commuter and the time between parking in the evening and leaving in the morning is adequate even at the low rate. And if you do run low on battery, it just means you're running on the RE, and can still drive normally. The job to be done is efficient transportation, not to necessarily maximize the percentage of operation on electricity.
    I disagree with this. We charge our volt on 240v twice a day at home. On most days, the car barely finishes charging before it has to go back out. Yes, I can burn oil if I need to, but I'd rather not. Increasing the rate of charge would solve this issue completely.
    P85D, red/tan, obeche matte, black headliner, all options -3rd row and @#$! heated wheel
    Model X sequence P2,318 (gave up S476)
    Sold-P85+, red/black, CF trim+spoiler, all options in 2013

Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169

Thread Information