Page 160 of 160 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160
Results 1,591 to 1,596 of 1596

Thread: GM Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    I hear what you are saying but which vehicle would have a larger impact?

An $80k car that travels 12.5k miles a year on electricity. That can do long distance trips on heavily traveled but highly specific routes.
    A $40k car that travels 10k miles a year on electricity, and 2.5k miles on gasoline. That can pretty much travel any distance anywhere.

You will sell a lot more of the less expensive car. The less expensive car can leverage existing infrastructure and allow almost limitless freedom in travel. Sure pure EVs are well more pure. And are definitely the end goal. But Volt and other plug in vehicles are a very important market, and most likely will be for a decade or two. Infrastracture and install base of ICE vehicles make the transition to EVs a long process. Even if 100% of the people who could use an EV switched when they needed a new car we are talking a 20+ year transition.

Even if those prices are $35k and $45K that is a large incremental monthly cost. And if it requires someone to rent a car, or fly, for a vacation the marginal cost gets even greater.

Sure I don't want to buy a Volt, or ICE plug in, and I wont. I didn't buy a Prius, or other hybrid. Because they were half-steps towards something that I wanted. But they aren't worthless cars. And a 80% solution can have a bigger impact if they sell more volume. It's easy to be ideologically pure, but in realitiy it isn't always the best or most meaningful path to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skotty View Post
    The problem is you are getting ahead of yourself. The Model 3 isn't here yet. The SuperCharger network is still under construction. Destination charging is still a problem for many people. Tesla is the future, but the Volt will remain relevant for quite a few more years. Though if the majority of your beef is just with the legacy manufacturers largely wanting to just rest on their laurels, that I completely understand.
    I see those views. I guess I just have a problem with Mary saying it's "leap forward" technology, because it's not anymore... Also, I have a strong/strict view about not messing around with this transition and I don't want to see the majority of consumers to think the next leap forward is only a hybrid. I don't want them to think that driving around for 40 miles and then using gas is the way to go, that's not the end game. Tesla has shown us we are a way more advanced society than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ggies07 View Post
    I see those views. I guess I just have a problem with Mary saying it's "leap forward" technology, because it's not anymore... Also, I have a strong/strict view about not messing around with this transition and I don't want to see the majority of consumers to think the next leap forward is only a hybrid. I don't want them to think that driving around for 40 miles and then using gas is the way to go, that's not the end game. Tesla has shown us we are a way more advanced society than that.
    FYI, in case you didn't know, there is a thread here for those wanting to debate the "purity" of desire to completely avoid internal combustion in vehicles.
    It is:
    Pure BEV Dogma
    Be forewarned, the arguments never seem to get settled either way (except in our own minds.)
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

I'd say that thread has less to do with "purity" and more to do with accurate terminology.

Blog Entries
    Just FYI, I now move all "troll" references to snippiness
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Just FYI, I now move all "troll" references to snippiness
    Including your own?
    Dr. EVS loves root beer
    Model C P30: 0 - 60 in 8.4, seats 2 + 1

Quote Originally Posted by ggies07 View Post
    I see those views. I guess I just have a problem with Mary saying it's "leap forward" technology, because it's not anymore...
    I always try and distinguish between marketing-speak and the facts. Isn't every product refresh referred to as "New and Improved"? They're not going to sell may cars if they say "Buy the Volt because we've made some incremental improvements". "Leap Forward" sounds a lot more enticing!
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Thread Information