Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1450

Thread: GM Chevy Volt

Unless they're drastically reducing range, there's probably still battery pack under the rear seat as well. About half the battery pack is under the back seat in the current Volt. My guess is that it has a 1 or 2 inch hump in the floor for high voltage cabling and cooling lines to connect an under seat battery to the rest of the drivetrain up front.

They have been talking about a smaller pack/shorter EV range version, so that could be it, though I'd be surprised if they built a different body pan for that version of the car. It's possible that they are now more comfortable using a larger percentage of the pack capacity and can get by with a smaller pack in both versions. Or it's just a test car and the appearance of the back seat is misleading.
    Last edited by JRP3; 2014-04-29 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    That's good news. I guess they shrunk the pack to just the hump between the driver and front passenger?
    The more obvious alternative would be that they made it a rectangular pack instead. Volt 1.0 used the T design from the EV1, an old 1.4L and a modified trans from two-mode. I hope that this time GM isn't as cash-strapped so they've takenca fresher approach. Of course, it's also possible that they've disguised the hump.

If they could just get the Range up to even 50 or 60 miles on battery. I , and many other people , would be all over it. At a price of under $40,000 it would be just what people would be after... The Tesla S is a little out of the average consumers line of sight. Looking at the amount of Volts I see for sale in the $ 13,000 / $15,000 range with relatively low miles on them. I think many find the 28 winter / 35 summer battery range a became a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luciano View Post
    . Looking at the amount of Volts I see for sale in the $ 13,000 / $15,000 range with relatively low miles on them. I think many find the 28 winter / 35 summer battery range a became a burden.
    I went to cars.com. I searched for Volts within 150 miles of my zipcode.

The cheapest was a 2012 with 84k miles for $16,999.

Driving a Volt for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Luciano View Post
    If they could just get the Range up to even 50 or 60 miles on battery. I , and many other people , would be all over it. At a price of under $40,000 it would be just what people would be after... The Tesla S is a little out of the average consumers line of sight. Looking at the amount of Volts I see for sale in the $ 13,000 / $15,000 range with relatively low miles on them. I think many find the 28 winter / 35 summer battery range a became a burden.
    While I completelly agree that GM needs to up the range on the Volt, as a Volt owner, I can say that the 28/35 mile range is not a deal breaker, and anyone buying one knows going into the transaction what range it can achieve. The transition to gas on the Volt is so seamless that its really a non issue. If you want to do 100% of your driving on electric, you dont buy a volt, you get a leaf. The Volt is typically purchased by a person who wants to drive as much EV as possible, but is willing to burn some dino juice to get a vehicle that can meet their needs in their price range. As the range of the leaf increases, the number of people who need more range than a leaf offers, but cannot afford a Tesla will decrease, and the Volt will be forced to improve or die.

I have yet to drive mine in the cold winters of Utah, but am regularly seeing 48 miles of range on the battery in the 85 degree heat. Its doing just fine for my daily commuting and such. Also was able to take it down to Pasadena CA for Bimmerfest this weekend and averaged 40.5 MPG. Not bad in my eyes.

Driving a Volt for now...
    Nice, this is a good improvement for what will hopefully be the last year of the 1st gen Volt. I guess the big question is going to be price, it will be interesting to see if GM holds the line on price, or has a small drop for the 2015 MY.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    No. 2013/2014 battery was already 16.5kWh.
    38*17.1/16.5 = 39.38.
    But that assumes the also expanded the usable range in proportion. Observations from people who seem to have the new battery suggests the usable bump might only be 0.3kWh. From a GM spokesperson's comment it doesn't seem like they're going to up the rating, maybe just because it's not the magic number.

Thread Information