Page 102 of 156 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1556

Thread: GM Chevy Volt

Compared to the about 40% gas above (which I take is the real overall number), voltstats.net still reports about 30% gas.

Using the 122 mpg from voltstats (* 30/40), this results in about 92 miles per gas-gallon, average.

(Or 37 mpg for Volts ICE (35 city/40 hwy) / 40%, also about that number: 92.5 mpg)
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    I guess the implication is about 40% of the miles traveled are on gas, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. It means the car is actually being used in its niche, which I see as being between the Leaf and the (standard) Prius. For California it means that fleet wide, those green sticker Volts are cleaner than those yellow sticker Priuses they're replacing in the HOV lanes.
    I have no issue with it's use, I was actually hinting at what some might call "EV Dogma", my crusade to stop calling hybrids "EV"s. EV's don't have separate numbers for total mileage and electric mileage

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    I have no issue with it's use, I was actually hinting at what some might call "EV Dogma", my crusade to stop calling hybrids "EV"s. EV's don't have separate numbers for total mileage and electric mileage
    If it has both a motor and an engine and both supply power to the drivetrain (even if indirectly), it's a hybrid.

If one of the two systems doesn't supply power to the drive train (such as those vehicles that just have a big starter motor so that the engine can stop when the vehicle is stopped, or just runs a power outlet) it's not a hybrid. It's just a vehicle with a big alternator.

If there are three power systems and all three supply power to the drive train then it's a trilobrid (not that I've ever seen such a thing, but it's good to be prepared).
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    If there are three power systems and all three supply power to the drive train then it's a trilobrid (not that I've ever seen such a thing, but it's good to be prepared).
    They are still working on hydrogen fuel cells, and I could imagine they might build something that has a gas tank, a battery, and a hydrogen fuel cell (battery for regen, gas as backup).

So that beast would have 3 forms of energy storage, and 2 motor/engine-s.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    They are still working on hydrogen fuel cells.
    I don't believe we'll have to deal with fuel cells until fusion power goes commercial. Hydrogen is just too energy intensive to produce.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    I don't believe we'll have to deal with fuel cells until fusion power goes commercial. Hydrogen is just too energy intensive to produce.
    I was more thinking of experimental vehicles in tiny volumes. (Not giving them any chance of success as a product.)

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is a thread about the Chevy Volt, as indicated by the thread title.

Voltchella
    Chevy Volt takes a dip in the pool at Coachella. With bikinis.
    For those who pine over the dearth of hot girls selling EVs.

Saw my first green-sticker in the wild today:

Name:  IMG_0356.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  124.1 KB
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Thread Information