Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone run "LOW"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not know that! Can I defeat it when going faster than 55? I ask only for when there is a lot of snow and slush on the freeway and I not want the front air dam get ripped off.

You can't force it Low from Standard, so probably it won't go the other way either, but I haven't tried.

I've sometimes wished I could keep it at High while driving. I've encountered snow above the air dam on a 60 kph (40 mph) road, and the car was basically dragging along. A bit disconcerting but no damage.

With a lot of snow and slush on the freeway you go faster than 55 mph?

Snow tires, traction control and stability control. Also, many times, dry pavement is punctuated with snow and slush.

- - - Updated - - -

You should not go that fast when the road is filled with that much snow and slush...

I know. Comes from living in the Midwest so long.

- - - Updated - - -

I've sometimes wished I could keep it at High while driving. I've encountered snow above the air dam on a 60 kph (40 mph) road, and the car was basically dragging along. A bit disconcerting but no damage.

Well, maybe TMC will do some more testing in snow country and make it an option?????

Snow tires, traction control and stability control. Also, many times, dry pavement is punctuated with snow and slush.

- - - Updated - - -

I know. Comes from living in the Midwest so long.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, maybe TMC will do some more testing in snow country and make it an option?????

I grew up north of Chicago--spent 26 years of my life there. I'm an experienced winter driver. IMHO, if there is enough snow/slush on the highway that it is high enough to touch the bottom of your air dam, you're going too fast regardless of the bells and whistles on your car. Just my opinion, but you'll probably not find any automaker that would defend those speeds in those conditions--so likely no automaker will buy that defense.

Having said that though, you may be able to raise the car to standard at higher speeds after it's already dropped automatically.

Around here, when it snows, half the people go HALF as fast -&- half the people go TWICE as fast. Makes it all very exciting. So I'm waiting on a MX AWD. ML

I can definitely attest to this. I've lived in Utah most of my life and every winter I see at least a dozen accidents the first few days it snows. My favorite drivers are those that think they can drive as fast as they want because they've got AWD or 4WD. It's especially interesting to watch them skid through intersections because they can't stop. :cursing:

The design intent of the Model S was never a car meant to drive in the snow. Not on a regular basis anyway. It's styling, dimensions, and suspension are really meant to be a highway running car. The Model X is the car that will be designed to handle snow better.

I wouldn't try to shoe-horn it in to be something it's not.

Just sayin.

The design intent of the Model S was never a car meant to drive in the snow. Not on a regular basis anyway. It's styling, dimensions, and suspension are really meant to be a highway running car. The Model X is the car that will be designed to handle snow better.

I wouldn't try to shoe-horn it in to be something it's not.

Just sayin.
Funny, I thought Model S was supposed to be the "Best car in the world that just happens to be electric." Well, the best car in the world should not need to stay garaged at home any time it snows, should it? I don't think expecting the car to be usable in all but the most extreme conditions is shoehorning it into something it's not. Just sayin'. :wink:

You should not go that fast when the road is filled with that much snow and slush...

Quite often, the highways will be perfectly clear in the tire tracks, but there will be a mound of snow down the middle of the lane. If the car sits too low, it will drag on that mound while all the other traffic is moving faster. Other times, the lanes will be "center bare" but there will be mounds of snow between the lanes of a multi-lane highway. Same problem when changing lanes.