Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S design will be changed this year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just stumbled across an interview with Elon Musk in the online edition of the German "Manager Magazin" in which, among other things, he was asked several questions about the future of the Model S in Europe. One very interesting tidbit was his statement that the design of the Model S would be changed considerable this year because building it in the present way was too time consuming and expensive, too inefficient. He mainly referred to the multitude of ways parts are currently bonded together - glue, welding, screws, rivets of various sizes. He gave the example of the B-pillar of the current Model that had to be redesigned to meet the crash regulations, a fact he was obviously very unhappy with (poor engineers!)

It was not clear whether the changes would comprise only production methods and "invisible" parts or whether the exterior of the car would be changed too.

Source (German only):

Tesla-Chef Elon Musk: "Wir werden mit Daimler hoffentlich mehr zu tun haben" - manager magazin - Unternehmen

I guess this is to be expected. As you produce, you refine and streamline -- cutting costs by removing complication, parts and labor. The nose cone change was the first visual change of that I believe, while the jump seats (not being available unless ordered from factory) were another less-visible change. I'd expect a year or two before the model s gets a facelift, and several years before a major redesign.

He's talking about different ways of improving the build process to cut weight and costs, streamlining production. I don't think that we're going to see any serious visual changes.

I suspect over time, the look with change modestly as you see with any production car. Perhaps less so given its such a young company. I also expect alot more technology will be added over time (ultrasonic sensors, adaptive cruise)

This is old news as it were because the car has had many changes already. The Tesla mantra is continual improvement which is not limited to model year changes. I think that Elon may be referring to process engineering changes now that mostly will be improved.

The door handles are the most recent build change noted.

I guess this is to be expected. As you produce, you refine and streamline -- cutting costs by removing complication, parts and labor. The nose cone change was the first visual change of that I believe, while the jump seats (not being available unless ordered from factory) were another less-visible change. I'd expect a year or two before the model s gets a facelift, and several years before a major redesign.
Some other changes come to mind (but they were pre-Signature):
Banana leaf. External carbon fiber on performance models.