Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia allows Tesla direct sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you had wondered, as I had, what was taking so long to open the Tyson's Corner store, this morning's news provided at least part of the answer. Tesla is fighting the ubiquitous dealership monopoly here as well as elsewhere that is trying to thwart the TSLA store model. While successful until now in the VA battle, they have encountered an obstacle with the VA DMV, of all things. They have forbidden Tesla to open a storefront at Tyson's, seeing it as being in violation of state regs on automotive dealerships. Let us hope this is very temporary.

Yeah, it's too bad. So VA law may need to be modified. Tesla will probably start that process like they did in TX and also start on the Federal level.

If retail stores can sell goods manufactured by them, then Tesla should be able to sell the same.

I agree with that. Virginia has a long and scarred history regarding innovation. Just look at our history in banking, air transportation, technology development. North Carolina ate our lunch on each of those fronts. So, it will be here, too, I suppose. The salvation may be in the burgeoning suburbs of DC that are young, enterprising and open, nay, begging for change. As I am often required to say, "Welcome to Virginia!"

Glad I have mine already. But Virginia offers NO incentives for EVs. Even "progressive" Charlottesville has basically no charger stations. Very disappointing. Not that I need them in Cville, but Virginia in general, with its illegality of radar detectors etc is a PITA. I'm surprised they actually raised the speed limit on some roads (like I-81) to 70+. I would have expected to leave everything at 55...

Using the logic of 'dealerships protect consumers' (though Fisker owners should take exception to that statement), grocery stores could band together to stop farmers' markets.

Truly mind-boggling, isn't it?

Actually that is the case in California. Roadside markets in San Luis Obispo are being closed down where farmers used to sell direct. Health department certification, workers compensation documentation, and business licences are required, and most simply close. I have several friends that are no longer able to sell direct.

Last edited:
Elon tweeted:
VA DMV Commissioner Donley overrules own Hearing Officer stating Tesla store in public interest..

With this pic....
BIlQ1BvCcAAkYzU.png:large

Virginia joins list of states forbidding Tesla sales

So the VA store opened yesterday. They have the usual rules where they cannot talk about price or selling, they can just answer questions about the car. One additional nice thing is that many more Virginians get to see how silly our laws are.

Virginia is backwards. Northern VA should secede from the rest of the state.

Virgnia government is not hostile to Tesla anymore. Tesla has been given dealer's license to sell cars directly to their residents. It is a done deal and Tesla is working to meet its basic requirements such as number of parking space required at the site, etc...The license to sell kicks in approxinately couple of weeks. They are looking to sell from Tyson's Corner store and are working with Mall management. The news came from local Tesla representative.

Last edited:
Virgnia government is not hostile to Tesla anymore. Tesla has been given dealer's license to sell cars directly to their residences. It is a done deal and Tesla is working to meet its basic requirements such as number of parking space required at the site, etc...The license to sell kicks in approxinately couple of weeks. They are looking to sell from Tyson's Corner store and are working with Mall management. The news came from local Tesla representative.

Well, that's great news. Thanks for posting. Please keep us informed on this topic. Cheers

I've been told by source in a position of knowledge that the agreement allows for a store and service center in NoVA. It does not allow expansion into the rest of the state. Sorry, I don't know if the person I spoke with wants to be quoted.

The agreement was reached between VADA, Tesla, and the DMV. So a legislative solution is still needed.

A